Einstein

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Einstein

by orel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:22 pm
After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

a. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing

b. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

c. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed

d. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing

e. attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing

by blackarrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:57 pm
My Answer B

Whats the OA
Its better to burn out than to fade away

by orel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:00 pm
can you please reason why you chose B.

OA will be posted after some discussions.

Thanks

Re: Einstein

by ken3233 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:38 pm
Feruza Matyakubova wrote:After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

a. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing

b. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed

c. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed

d. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing

e. attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing
I pick C, even though I don't feel completely comfortable with this answer.

I believe that the simple past form "developed" needs to be placed before "a foundation" in order for the sentence to make sense. Thus, I eliminated A, D, and E.

Between B and C, I eliminated B because I don't think it is parallel.

by blackarrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:59 pm
Hey Ken and Feruza,

The reason why I picked B
attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed -----

Einstein attended the school and received the training , both these events happened at the same time. This choice is also parallel, because he attended... and developed are parallel

by blackarrow » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:00 pm
Feruza,

Can we have the OA now?

by orel » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:18 pm
hello!
thanks for waiting!
OA is A

First I chose D assuming that Einstein attended the school and got knowledge at the same time, while developing smth while gaining knowledge. so,, it was :

attended..., received..., developing...

But i was wrong! :(

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nasa » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:29 pm
After moving to Switzerland in the 1890’s, Albert Einstein attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing a foundation for his future work in mathematical physics.

a. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developing ---- After moving, Einstein attended school, receiving X as well as developing Y.

b. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis and developed ----- receiving X and developed Y is wrong because, it is implicit that he developed Y while he was in school. It is a parallel activity along with receiving X.

c. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed ---- Wrong. If you are describing sequence of actions like developed preceeded by attended, then use past perfect and past tene to emphasise the sequence.

d. attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, developing - wrong because oiy mixes the sequence of actions

e. attending the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, receiving in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and developing ---- too parallele that it distors the meaning

IMO A

by PAB2706 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 pm
i guess this is a classic case of superficial parallelism as explained in MGMAT SC....

the main verb is attended. the other verbs receiving, developing give the additional information about wht Einstein did while attending. hence A is right.

by ken3233 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:03 pm
Can someone please explain what is wrong with C? Thanks.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nasa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:29 pm
the option does not use progressive form to emphasize actions are occuring simultaneously

by ken3233 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:21 am
nasa wrote:the option does not use progressive form to emphasize actions are occuring simultaneously
Nasa:

I hope I'm not belaboring the point here, but could you explain what you mean by "progressive form"? Also, can you tell me what publication (and page number) you learned about the progressive form from?

If this data is in MGMAT SC, what chapter is it from? I am eager to learn this.

Much appreciated.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
C. "attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed”
The problem here is the unnecessary intrusion of the pronoun "he". In parallel sentences, a noun or pronoun need not be repeated if the same noun is doing the same actions.
I feel the correct answer should be B since Einstein does two actions here. One is that he attended and the second is that he developed some skills. That he developed some skills is not a subordinate action and to me, it is a very primary one. So there is justification in reporting it as another action and to report it in past tense as developed.

narendran wrote:C. "attended the Swiss Federal Polytechnic School in Zurich, received in-depth training in quantitative analysis, and he developed”
The problem here is the unnecessary intrusion of the pronoun "he". In parallel sentences, a noun or pronoun need not be repeated if the same noun is doing the same actions.
I feel the correct answer should be B since Einstein does two actions here. One is that he attended and the second is that he developed some skills. That he developed some skills is not a subordinate action and to me, it is a very primary one. So there is justification in reporting it as another action and to report it in past tense as developed.
Interesting. I asked Karmayogi to comment on this thread. Maybe we can get a moderator to come here after that, if necessary.

I would really like to know what makes the OA better than B or C, especially given that your argument is sensible.

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:03 pm
My take was B

would although agree that this is a case of Superficial Parallelism

Would wait for explanation why not B?