Effect of Recession on B-School Apps

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Effect of Recession on B-School Apps

by Schrute Beets » Tue May 20, 2008 7:04 am
Is anyone else concerned that a possible recession in the United States is going to lead to a dramatic increase in the volume of applications to American business schools next year? I have heard that in previous recessions applications to most graduate school programs have increased significantly and made the admissions process far more competitive than in previous years.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue May 20, 2008 7:21 am
Hi Sc -
Unfortunately your assessment is correct. Usually when the economy goes sour, applications go up significantly. For example, the year after 9/11 was one of the most competitive years for MBA admissions, due to tough economic and employment conditions.

Sorry to say, but this past year [07-08] was also very competitive and my guess is this year will be even more so.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by wawatan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 am
that's a good question. you would think that since the finance industry is doing poorly, then there would be a decrease to mba applications, but i guess im wrong. can you explain why there would be increased competition?

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:58 am
Because the industry is doing poorly, lay-offs is a major concern. Most ppl would therefore prefer to ride out a rough period doing something that would potentially get them further ahead at the end of it all ergo The MBA

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Thu May 22, 2008 5:39 am
That said... PLEASE don't be discouraged by the 'noise' of how competitive this year will be! I strongly encourage you to apply whenever you feel best ready/prepared to get your MBA.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Bestmiler » Wed May 28, 2008 4:34 pm
Hey, I just read an article about this on businessweek the other day. Heres the link: https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... han=search