Drivers in Maryland

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Drivers in Maryland

by zaarathelab » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:56 am
A recent report determined that although only 3 percent of drivers on Maryland highways equipped their vehicles with radar detectors, 33 percent of all vehicles ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were equipped with them. Clearly, drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are driver who do not.

The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions:

(A) Drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are less likely to be ticketed for exceeding the speed limit than are drivers who do not.
(B) Drivers who are ticketed for exceeding the speed limit are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are drivers who are not ticketed.
(C) The number of vehicles that were ticketed for exceeding the speed limit was greater than number of vehicles that were equipped with radar detectors.
(D) Many of the vehicles that were ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were ticketed more than once in the time period covered by the report.
(E) Drivers on Maryland highways exceeded the speed limit more often than did drivers on other state highways not covered in the report.

This is an OG-11 question. Would be nice if someone can elaborate/better OG's explanation
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 pm
A recent report determined that although only 3 percent of drivers on Maryland highways equipped their vehicles with radar detectors, 33 percent of all vehicles ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were equipped with them. - Evidence
Clearly, drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are driver who do not. - Conclusion.

There is a scope shift here :
The evidence - 33 % of the drivers are ticketed for exceeding the speed limits. The frequency of their action is not mentioned here.
The conclusion - drivers with rader detector exceeds the speed limit regularly.

Any thind that will connect this will be the assumption - B does that ( assumption in a supporter role )

I hope this helps !!

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 am
Avik,

I will go with D here.

B: I think this one assumes that the drivers who drove radarless vehicle will never drive the one equipped with radar. Also, coclusive assumption you make is that the drivers driving only the vehicles with the radar will get the ticket for speeding.....I doubt that

D actually is good because it is specifically related to the Vehicles only. and sorts the issue mentioned above.

let me know your views.

Followed by:6 members

by gunjan1208 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:20 pm
Wow! I have been idiot enough to ask the question I asked. Sorry Avik:)

Avik's reasoning is perfect in here.