Drivers in maryland

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

Drivers in maryland

by champmag » Mon May 30, 2011 5:26 am
A recent report determined that although only three percent of drivers on Maryland highways equipped their vehicles with radar detectors, thirty-three percent of all vehicles ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were equipped with them. Clearly, drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are drivers who do not.
The conclusion drawn above depends on which of the following assumptions?
A. Drivers who equip their vehicles with radar detectors are less likely to be ticketed for exceeding the speed limit than are drivers who do not.
B. Drivers who are ticketed for exceeding the speed limit are more likely to exceed the speed limit regularly than are drivers who are not ticketed.
C. The number of vehicles that were ticketed for exceeding the speed limit was greater than the number of vehicles that were equipped with radar detectors.
D. Many of the vehicles that were ticketed for exceeding the speed limit were ticketed more than once in the time period covered by the report.
E. Drivers on Maryland highways exceeded the speed limit more often than did drivers on other state highways not covered in the report.

Plz explain all the options.

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Mon May 30, 2011 5:32 am
Got a confusion between B and D. Can somebody please explain me :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Followed by:2 members

by itsmebharat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:12 am
IMO D
I am not an Expert, please feel free to suggest if there is an error.

by sivaelectric » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 am
Have you got an explanation Bharat :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Calvin123 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 am
This one is a really tough one.
B is the correct ans.
I can explain my approch but can not explain better than the experts, so posting few of the experts explanations.
Hope these help.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/maryland-ass ... 47601.html
https://www.beatthegmat.com/tough-questioin-t58995.html

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by aftableo2006 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 am
this was a really tough one thanks for the explanation link

by sivaelectric » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:18 am
Thanks for the supporting links Calvin

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:40 am
when you eliminate all the answer choices it comes down to B and D. Answer choice D is not correct as it uses the word many which is not certain whether the cars that were having a radar system had more tickets or the cars that were not having a radar system had more tickets. When you negate option B the conclusion of the argument is weakened.
i.e if option B is negated then 3% of the drivers having radar system can never be ticketed 33% of the times.

Hopes this helps you guyzzz.. if still you have any questions please ask. Also i m not an expert and so i can be wrong as well but this is what i understood from this question.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:41 am
[email protected] wrote:when you eliminate all the answer choices it comes down to B and D. Answer choice D is not correct as it uses the word many which is not certain whether the cars that were having a radar system had more tickets or the cars that were not having a radar system had more tickets. When you negate option B the conclusion of the argument is weakened.
i.e if option B is negated then 3% of the drivers having radar system can never be ticketed 33% of the times.

Hopes this helps you guyzzz.. if still you have any questions please ask. Also i m not an expert and so i can be wrong as well but this is what i understood from this question.
Experts are sometimes wrong too. Rare, but happens. :)
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com