doubt SC B 4

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC B 4

by aditya8062 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:46 am
Due to Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day allowing the city of Detroit that files for bankruptcy on grounds of an organization's constitutional rights, the 10,000 current city workers and the 20,000 retired workers found that their pensions, earlier thought to have been as secure as treasury bonds, were cut in half.

A Due to Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day allowing the city of Detroit that files

B With Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day that allowed the city of Detroit filing

C Judge Roesmarie's decision was released post-independence day, allowing the city of Detroit to file

D Because of Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day allowing the city of Detroit to file

E Because Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day to allow the city of Detroit to file

my doubt : the proclaimed answer is D; however i find the construction "post-independence day allowing" WRONG. it seems that "post- independence day" is ALLOWING

thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

by vishalwin » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:22 am
Question seems wrong. What is the source?

post-independence day allowing

VERB-ing without comma modifies the noun preceding it but DAY ALLOWING is wrong. Answer could be option E
Thanks & Regards
vishalwin
------------------------------------
GMAT Score - 530
I will BEAT the GMAT!

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:48 pm
aditya8062 wrote:
my doubt : the proclaimed answer is D; however i find the construction "post-independence day allowing" WRONG. it seems that "post- independence day" is ALLOWING
I am not sure that everyone will agree with the following, but here is how I see it, and what I am confident about is that even if in the GMAT space what I say below does not hold, it does hold in the real world of spoken and written English. Further, in my experience, going with what I say below will work out for you when you are taking the GMAT as I have never seen a situation in which the sentence created using a wrong GMAT answer that has a modifier issue does not convey a clearly ambiguous or distorted meaning. The answer choice we are discussing here may seem to include a rule violation, but actually the meaning is clear and the sentence version created using the answer choice makes sense.

So here's the deal.

In this case you can use meaning to determine that decision released post independence day goes together as a unit, and so allowing... modifies not independence day but rather decision released post independence day.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:33 pm
Thanks Marty
can you please tell as what is wrong with option E?
thanks and best regards

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:40 pm
aditya8062 wrote:Thanks Marty
can you please tell as what is wrong with option E?
The sentence created using choice E conveys not that the decision is a decision that allows but rather a distorted meaning, that the decision was released in order to allow.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:55 pm
'
The sentence created using choice E conveys not that the decision is a decision that allows but rather a distorted meaning, that the decision was released in order to allow.
Thanks again; however in a construction "Because Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day" -->"RELEASED" is not a VERB but a modifier . the construction is NOT "WAS RELEASED" but "RELEASED"

Marty i feel that E is WRONG because of following reason,correct me if i am wrong:
in a construction "BECAUSE OF X , Y" --> X needs to a noun ;however in a construction "BECAUSE X,Y" (which is precisely what option E is) we need X to be a clause and this is not happening in option E
thanks and best regards

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:06 pm
aditya8062 wrote:Marty i feel that E is WRONG because of following reason,correct me if i am wrong:
in a construction "BECAUSE OF X , Y" --> X needs to a noun ;however in a construction "BECAUSE X,Y" (which is precisely what option E is) we need X to be a clause and this is not happening in option E
Oh yeah. Hmm. That is another, even clearer, reason why E is not right.

Another way to describe the issue that you are talking about is the following. The sentence created using choice E conveys that the decision itself did the releasing.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 pm
Thanks again Marty
Another way to describe the issue that you are talking about is the following. The sentence created using choice E conveys that the decision itself did the releasing.
i will appreciate f you can elaborate on this. can you please tell as why you are classifying "RELEASED" AS verb in option E. my understanding tells me that it is a MODIFIER.
for instance in a sentence : "Marty RELEASED the documents"---->"RELEASED" is a VERB ;however in a sentence : "documents released on monday ...."----->RELEASED is ED MODIFIER.
thanks and best regards

Legendary Member

by MartyMurray » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:11 pm
aditya8062 wrote:
i will appreciate f you can elaborate on this. can you please tell as why you are classifying "RELEASED" AS verb in option E. my understanding tells me that it is a MODIFIER.
for instance in a sentence : "Marty RELEASED the documents"---->"RELEASED" is a VERB ;however in a sentence : "documents released on monday ...."----->RELEASED is ED MODIFIER.
You can read it either way.

You can read it as a subject and verb of a dependent clause.

Because Jim spoke...

Because the fireworks exploded...

Because the decision released...

Also, you can read it instead as a noun and modifier, as you did.

Whichever way you go with, the construction of the sentence does not work.

Read one way the construction does not work because a decision does not release itself.

Read the other way the construction does not work because the word of is missing.

Really the point is that the construction does not work.
Marty Murray
MartyMurrayCoaching.com

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:40 am
aditya8062 wrote: it seems that "post- independence day" is ALLOWING

thanks
D: Because of Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day allowing the city of Detroit to file
Here, post-independence day is an ADVERB serving to modify released, expressing WHEN the decision was RELEASED.
Since allowing is an ADJECTIVE, it cannot serve to modify an adverb such as post-independence day.
Rather, allowing -- like released -- must be serving to modify decision (the nearest preceding noun).

That said, I am very skeptical of the OA, which employs the following structure:
NOUN + VERBed modifier + VERBing modifier.
Generally, this structure requires a conjunction between the two modifiers, as in the OA to SC42 in the OG12:
tentacles SPAWNED by a single fertilized spore some 10,000 years ago AND EXTENDING for more than 30 acres
I would ignore the SC above.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by aditya8062 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:10 am
D: Because of Judge Roesmarie's decision released post-independence day allowing the city of Detroit to file
Here, post-independence day is an ADVERB serving to modify released, expressing WHEN the decision was RELEASED.
Since allowing is an ADJECTIVE, it cannot serve to modify an adverb such as post-independence day.
Rather, allowing -- like released -- must be serving to modify decision (the nearest preceding noun).
Guru i really like the way you break the sentence .
Guru i read somewhere that the construction "BECAUSE OF VERBING" is WRONG if VERBING is a NOUN and that this construction is correct only when VERBING is ADJECTIVE

for instance "because of rising prices ....." will be correct; however "because of diminishing the respiratory system's ability...." will be WONG

can u please elaborate on this
thanks and best regards

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:13 am
aditya8062 wrote: Guru i really like the way you break the sentence .
Guru i read somewhere that the construction "BECAUSE OF VERBING" is WRONG if VERBING is a NOUN and that this construction is correct only when VERBING is ADJECTIVE

for instance "because of rising prices ....." will be correct; however "because of diminishing the respiratory system's ability...." will be WONG

can u please elaborate on this
A gerund is a VERBing that serves as a NOUN.

The following structure is unacceptable:
because of + GERUND + DIRECT OBJECT.
Incorrect: because of poaching the animals.

The following structure is acceptable:
because of + GERUND + NO DIRECT OBJECT.
An OA from GMATPrep:
because of poaching and increased cultivation in their native habitats.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3