doubt SC A 9

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

doubt SC A 9

by aditya8062 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:20 am
1997 was the Year of the Flood, as record precipitation in the US sent rivers and streams out of their banks in widely separated parts of the country, uprooted hundreds of thousands of people, killed at least ninety people, and wreaked total damages estimated at well over $5 billion.

A. sent rivers and streams out of their banks in widely separated parts of the country, uprooted hundreds of thousands of people, killed

B. sending rivers and streams out of their banks in widely separated parts of the country, uprooting hundreds of thousands of people, and killing

C. sent rivers and streams out from their banks in widely separated parts of the country, uprooted hundreds of thousands of people, killing

D. sending rivers and streams out of its banks in widely separated parts of the country, uprooting hundreds of thousands of people, and killing

E. in widely separated parts of the country sent rivers and streams out of their banks, uprooting hundreds of thousands of people, and killing

Doubt: the proclaimed answer is A; however i feel that A has nonsensical parallelism between "uprooted hundreds of thousands of people, killed at least ninety people"------>"uprooting and killing" are more of a result of the previous clause "record precipitation in the US sent rivers and streams out of their banks in widely separated parts of the country" AND SO when we are putting those two things IN PARALLEL to entire sentence then it is indicating that they are EFFECTIVELY INDEPENDENT events

thanks

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:44 am
aditya8062 wrote:i feel that A has nonsensical parallelism.
A: Record precipitation...killed ninety people.
Here, the implication is that RAIN itself can KILL people.
This meaning seems nonsensical.
While record precipitation can lead to PROBLEMS that result in death -- flooding, a lack of heat, and so on -- rain itself cannot kill people.

I would ignore this SC.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3