Doubt in 2 options

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Doubt in 2 options

by anshulagarwal12 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:09 am
Research has shown that when speaking, individuals who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do,and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.
(A) have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and that
(B) have thus never seen anyone gesture but nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and
(C) have thus never seen anyone gesture, that they nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and
(D) thus they have never seen anyone gesture, but nonetheless they make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and that
(E) thus they have never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and

In this between A & C, I choose C because I dont feel the need of "that" after and , as I dont need parallelism here.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by Mission2012 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am
Hi,

My pick is A

Research has shown that when speaking, individuals who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture, that they nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

Isn't "that they" makes option "C" incorrect
anshulagarwal12 wrote:Research has shown that when speaking, individuals who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do,and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.
(A) have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and that
(B) have thus never seen anyone gesture but nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and
(C) have thus never seen anyone gesture, that they nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do, and
(D) thus they have never seen anyone gesture, but nonetheless they make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and that
(E) thus they have never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way that sighted people do, and

In this between A & C, I choose C because I dont feel the need of "that" after and , as I dont need parallelism here.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am
anshulagarwal12 wrote:Research has shown that when speaking, individuals who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture nonetheless make hand motions just as frequently and in the same way as sighted people do,and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

In the SC above, when speaking and who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture serve as modifiers.
Here is the core structure of C, with these modifiers omitted:
Research has shown that individuals THAT THEY nonetheless make hand motions.
The words in red serve no purpose.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:44 am
Wow..very curious to know the source of this question. It seems to be close to OG 12 question (#46), reproduced below:

Researchers have found that individuals who have been blind from birth, and who thus have never seen anyone gesture, nevertheless make hand motions when speaking just as frequently and in virtually the same way as sighted people do, and that they will gesture even when conversing with another blind person.

You might want to quickly go thru the OE to get the clarity you are looking for.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:51 am
Sorry could't help notice that the time for each of the above three posts (including mine) is identical - 12:14am. Wonder how often it happens on btg.
Ashish
MBA - ISB, GMAT - 99th Percentile
GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle
www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at:

a) Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana

b) Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by 7777 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:46 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:

In the SC above, when speaking and who have been blind from birth and have thus never seen anyone gesture serve as modifiers.
Here is the core structure of C, with these modifiers omitted:
Research has shown that individuals THAT THEY nonetheless make hand motions.
The words in red serve no purpose.
option A looks the best among the choices,but what is the need of the second comma if it is // to the "that" clause? doesn't the "second comma" violate the conjunction rule,i.e independent clause,conjunc independent clause?

i think construction should be (research has shown that....and that......),but in this question it goes as (research has shown that.......,and that....)