doomsayers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

doomsayers

by hitmewithgmat » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Some doomsayers are warning that long-range warming or cooling trends in weather patterns will drastically reduce grain production. More optimistic reports, however, point out that, even if such drifts in average temperature do occur, we should expect little change in grain production because there is little evidence that changes in rainfall patterns will occur Moreover, for most crops, climate-induced yield trends will be masked by both the year-to-year fluctuation of yields and by the enhancement of yields because of techonological factors.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the more optimistic reports mentioned in the passage are based?
A) Long-range changes in weather patterns cannot be accurately predicted.
B) The growing of grain is so highly dependent on technological factors that improvements in yield are unlikely, regardless of climatic conditions.
C) Trends in rainfall patterns are more difficult to isolate than are trends in temperature.
D) Long-range warming or cooling trends are more damaging to grain production if they are accompanied by changes in rainfall patterns than if they are not.
E) Long-range cooling trends are potentially more destructive to grain production than are long-range warming trends.

OA to follow.

Since this is an assumption question, we need premise nad a conclusion.

Conclusion is-we should expect little change in grain production.
Premise-there is little evidence that changes in rainfall patterns will occur.

How do you solve this?
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:04 pm
B and D are the only 2 options to choose from i think

I chose D over B because, B rejects the fact that changes in the patterns of the rainfall do not impact the yield of the crops et al.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:26 pm
IMO C.

GMAT Score:690

Re: doomsayers

by Ludacrispat26 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 pm
hitmewithgmat wrote:
A) Long-range changes in weather patterns cannot be accurately predicted.
B) The growing of grain is so highly dependent on technological factors that improvements in yield are unlikely, regardless of climatic conditions.
C) Trends in rainfall patterns are more difficult to isolate than are trends in temperature.
D) Long-range warming or cooling trends are more damaging to grain production if they are accompanied by changes in rainfall patterns than if they are not.
E) Long-range cooling trends are potentially more destructive to grain production than are long-range warming trends.
IMO-D

The arguer says that the weather changes are no big deal because there won't be a dramatic overhaul of rain. This is assuming that rainfall is bad. I say D

by delhiboy1979 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:26 am
Should be D, it says clearly that changes in the weather pattern is not a big deal since it will not affect the rainfall patterns

Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:16 pm
OA is D.
Experts,could you break it down?
Premises and conclusion? I am dizzy..
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:54 pm
I would go with option D as the correct option