Don't know if I beat the GMAT! :S

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Don't know if I beat the GMAT! :S

by shanrizvi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 am
Hey,

I got 680 (47Q, 35V). I guess I didn't really beat the GMAT. I don't know what to feel. I expected around this score but I was really hoping for a 700. I mean it sounds so much more than 80 :S Ah. I don't know how I did.

I plan on applying to MSc programs at the following universities: Queens University (Canada), University of British Columbia (Canada), London School of Economics and Political Sciences (UK), Warwick Business School (UK) and Stockholm School of Economics (Sweden). Blah.

Feeling satisfied and thankful but yet strange.

by shanrizvi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:31 am
But then again, I barely prepared for 3 weeks. I am definitely not re-taking it anyway!

by shanrizvi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 am
And oh the percentiles are 78 and 73 in Quantitative and Verbal respectively. Overall percentile is 86.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by p2dski » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 am
If you are not retaking you are doing 1 of two things.

1. Beat it.
2. Giving up.

Only you can decide.
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -Napoleon Hill

by shanrizvi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:16 am
is 680 really that bad? :S i don't feel like spending 300 bucks and registering again ;/ plus, i am 20 years old and will be applying for a pre-experience degree, not some mba program. i don't know what to do. i was satisfied but now i feel like its a shit score! lol. i can't stop obsessing over it. i'm satisfied but i just keep thinking aah if i could do just a little better i'd cross 700. but then again is all that obsession worth it? i dont know. i'm not giving up but ahhh i dont know.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 am
Shanrizi,

Please don't let anyone put a dent in your confidence. Your score is very commendable and with an interesting mix of work experience, extra curricular activities and recommendations that attest to your leadership potential you can get into any of the top programs in the world

All the best in your application process!!

by shanrizvi » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:46 pm
Thank ogbeni. It was my first attempt and I prepared for about 3 weeks. I guess its a good score specially considering my aims at the moment (the schools and programs that am I am going for). I could re-take it and do much better with just some more work (I was scoring around 720-740 in the practice tests) but I just don't want to spend another 300 bucks on this right now. I'm 20 and I can't really aim for places like Harvard and Stanford anyway because I don't have solid work experience (just a summer internship at GlaxoSmithKline). I'm applying for pre-experience MSc programs.

I think this score should be good enough for LSE but I am not sure. Wondering if anyone can give me some information there. I think I have quite a good CV and overall profile. My grade point average is 75.25/100 (at Helsinki School of Economics, the best business school in Finland and one of the best in Europe). Its equal to 4 on a scale of 1 to 5. I had 8 Az and 4 Bz in GCE O Level and 1 A 2 Bs in A Level. I am an associate on the board of this non-governmental non-profit organization that aims to encourage sustainable social development. Recently, we've raised funds for interest-free micro-financing and the building of tube-wells to provide clean water to a bunch of deprived areas of Karachi, Pakistan. I've won a couple of international web designing competitions as well (organized by Oracle) and also manage the mentioned organization's online presence.