• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Dolphins

This topic has 2 expert replies and 5 member replies

Dolphins

Dolphins lack vocal cords, nevertheless creating sounds: a complicated system of whistles, Squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks are produced by sphincter muscles inside the blowhole.
A. nevertheless creating sounds: a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks are produced by
B. nevertheless creating sounds: they produce a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks with
C. but they do create sounds, producing a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks with
D. but they do create sounds, a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks being produced
E. but nevertheless creating sounds: a complicated system of whistles, squeaks, moans, trills, and clicks produced by

OA B

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member
Posted:
795 messages
Followed by:
85 members
Upvotes:
EssaySnark would think the answer is C; B sounds really wrong!

The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnark-the-indians-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
2789 messages
Followed by:
43 members
Upvotes:
Target GMAT Score:
700+
GMAT Score:

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
1031 messages
Followed by:
253 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Got a PM on this one, which I'd normally leave alone because this one looks like a game of "Telephone". If you Google the first few words of the sentence and add "GMAT", you'll find this exact same question but with different forms of the answer choices, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the "OA" on this one, since I don't think you can know which version the author intended (in the other I saw, C has a massively-fatal flaw at the end of the answer choice as it doesn't connect at all with the fixed portion at the end of the sentence).

As this one is written, I don't think you can select anything but C. C is correct - "but" is used properly to invoke a "surprise" transition (even though they don't have vocal cords, they still do produce sound). "Producing", then, is a modifier for "create sounds" (it tells how). And "lack vocal cords" and "do create sounds" are both in the same tense (indicative) which is a logical way to phrase a scientific phenomenon.

In B, there's no real justification for using the present tense "creating". And if I'm comparing B with C, I'd also worry about the pronoun "they", which should fairly clearly refer back to "dolphins", but could create some concern. You could also say:

Dolphins, while lacking vocal cords, nevertheless create sounds; they emit from the blowhole and take on the form of speaks and clicks, serving the sea mammals' need for communication.

And there "they" could refer to "sounds". So I don't think it's 100% obvious that "they" in choice B refers to "dolphins", and so if I'm comparing those two I'd see that as a knock against B while C doesn't have such a problem.

Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
Legendary Member
Posted:
795 messages
Followed by:
85 members
Upvotes:
Brian, thank you! EssaySnark is no GMAT expert and it was really useful to see your very thorough reply. Smile

Much appreciated!

The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnark-the-indians-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
188 messages
Followed by:
5 members
Upvotes:
Test Date:
November 4th, 2011
Target GMAT Score:
GMAT Score:

What is the use of "do" in the answer choice C? It doesn't sound correct.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
1031 messages
Followed by:
253 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:

That "do" is there to further the distinction between "I don't _____________ but I **do** ___________ (something similar, which you wouldn't expect based on the previous clause". Some examples of how the "do (VERB)" is used:

I don't listen to headphones when I run, but I do listen to them when I ride the stationary bike. (You'd think since both are exercise activities that I'd have the same headphones policy for both, so the "do" adds that transition element)

I don't always drink beer, but I do make an exception for Dos Equis. ("do" adds emphasis to the exception-to-the-rule that I'll drink Dos Equis)

In the sentence above, the surprising twist is that, even though they don't have vocal cords, dolphins **do** find a way to communicate via other sounds. The word **do** exists to emphasize that seeming discrepancy.

Veritas Prep

Looking for GMAT practice questions? Try out the Veritas Prep Question Bank. Learn More.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!

Top Member

“Nevertheless” is a connector meaning “yet” or “but”. You can see the futility and redundancy of “but” in E. Again, when we use a connector like “nevertheless”, both arms of the connector should be parallel. Choices A, B and E use a clause on one side and a participial phrase on the other.
We must say ‘Dolphins lack vocal cords, nevertheless create sounds’ using verbs on both sides.
A also falters on Subject -Verb agreement.
The choice has to be between C and D while D lacks the use of ‘by’ at the end. “being produce sphincter” is wrong usage and awkward. Hence, C is the answer.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Kaplan Test Prep
    Free Practice Test & Review
    How would you score if you took the GMAT

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Kaplan Test Prep
  • Magoosh
    Magoosh
    Study with Magoosh GMAT prep

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code