Do I need GMAT score before applying to B-Schools?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Hi there,

I'm planning to attend business school in the fall of 2014. I've narrowed down a few schools that I want to apply to and I'm currently studying to take the GMAT in December.

Do I need to have the GMAT score BEFORE I can start applying to schools or am I able to submit the essays, recommendations, etc. before I take the GMAT and then submit my score once I recieve it in December? I want to make sure I apply early in order to get grants if possible, so I feel as if starting to apply in December would be too late. Many of the schools I'm looking at have application deadlines of March 1.

Advice?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by blessu » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:16 am
Yes, you need to have your unofficial score (that you got when you finished the test) when you submit the application.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:19 pm
Hey there,

You do need to have taken your GMAT before you apply and technically you could take it the day before the deadlines to be able to report your scores.

HOWEVER - that said, that's a huge risk. Firstly, without knowing your GMAT score, how do you know if you're picking the right programs? What if you spend time and effort working on, say, Stern, and your GMAT is a 550?

Just as importantly, what if your GMAT score isn't that extreme but more of a 690 and you need to emphasize certain attributes that, in your current app, only appear a normal amount?

You not only need your GMAT to apply, but also to select schools and develop your story.

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!