Do I have a decent GMAT study strategy?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone-

Just started GMAT prep this week and I am 5 days in. So far, I took the free Veritas CAT full length and scored 520 (30s for both Verbal and Quant). I made ridiculously stupid mistakes like arithmetic errors in quant. My goal is to get 650+ .

Do you think that I am on an appropriate study strategy? Here is what I've done this week and this is what I plan to do. I want to take the GMAT in ~2 months.

I'm stronger in verbal, so I started my prep with Quant.

WEEK 1:
M: Took Veritas CAT ; (520)
T: Review and Redid all QUANT questions on Veritas CAT + Review and Redid IR section for familiarity
W: oGMAT 2nd Edition Quantitative Review Problem Solving 1-40 + idiom flashcards
Tr: Review all 1-40 solutions from the oGMAT 2nd Edition + GMAT Strategy, Data Sufficiency Videos on GMATPrepNow paid package + idiom flashcards
F: oGMAT 2nd Edition Quantitative Review Problem Solving 41-70 + more idiom flashcards
S: (Today)

So... I realize now that after a week of working through these 2nd edition problems, this is helpful, BUT I need to have a more organized study plan. SO, I am going to do the 60-Day GMAT STUDY GUIDE from this forum. Today (saturday 8/19 I am doing the verbal diagnostic).

I want to utilize the paid GMATPrepNow videos and problems sets AS WELL AS staying on the 60-day study plan from this forum as my main study sources. Can someone tell me if this is an efficient way to do it to achieve my goal score? Also, how should I interweave these two resources so I can stay organized and improve.

Starting in September I am beginning my full time Mgmt Consulting job so I would like to really grind until then. And then hang on / stay on the study plan as the job starts.

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:14 am
Hi Jeff,

To start, a 520 is a decent initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 540-550 most years). Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's possible that you will need more study time than you've allotted. From what you described, if you could eliminate the types of little mistakes that you made during your first CAT, then you could potentially earn a bit bump up in score relatively quickly. That all having been said, there's no way to know for sure whether your current plan will 'work' for you or not, so I suggest that you continue studying as you see fit for the next 1-2 weeks, then take a new, FULL-LENGTH CAT. That score will help to define how well your studies are going and any adjustments that you might need to make.

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by JeffHauptschein » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:45 am
Hi Rich-

Thanks for the timely reply. I will try another CAT in a few weeks. And I agree, I will shoot for a November GMAT test date. Is it true that I can schedule the test just 2-3 days in advance?

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

-- I'm fresh out of undergrad, I want to work in my Management Consulting job for 2-3 years before applying for MBA.

2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

-- Top 40 programs. Not sure of my list just yet.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 am
Hi Jeff,

Each Testing Facility has its own schedule and available 'spots', so your options will vary from location to location. In addition, certain times of year are busier than others (and now is one of those times - since applicants are planning to take their Official GMATs before the Round 1 or Round 2 application deadlines). As such, while it's certainly possible to book an Official Test Date just a day or two in advance, if you have a specific date/time in mind, you should try to book it farther in advance (lest those spots get booked by other Test Takers and you're forced into a different spot).

Focusing on your GMAT now (years before you'll apply to Business School) is a smart choice. You'll have the freedom to push back your planned Test Date (if needed) and reduce the overall pressure that many applpication-deadline-facing Test Takers have to deal with.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm
Yes, and....plan on your taking the real GMAT at least twice, and keep that in mind as you plan test dates and study.

Take inventory after your next diagnostic. You'll want to keep track of:

- question type
- question level
- did you guess
- did you think you knew it but got it wrong
- did you second guess yourself
- do you know why you got it wrong
- do you know why you got it correct
- did you feel nervous

Then once you look over it, if you got it wrong: decide if you were missing info, was it careless, and if you understand without the pressure of time, if you understand what the question is asking you.

Learning on your own means you're dancing with yourself. And need to find all the angles so you understand yourself better...so be engaged in a person self inquiry process of how to address and encounter each question.
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c

by JeffHauptschein » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:02 pm
Thanks Bara!

A few follow up questions:

- By twice a week, you are saying that I should take online, full-length CAT exams twice a week? So far, I've been told to take one CAT every two weeks.

- I am currently tracking my errors in the oGmat 2015 improvement chart. I am using the 2nd edition official book. For example, I just finished 60-Days GMAT study strategy day 5. The first day of arithmetic. After I watch all the GMATPrepNow videos, I did the PS and DS problem sets and recorded them in the improvement chart. When I start studying tomorrow, before tackling the next days GMATPrepNow videos, I will review my mistakes. I am flagging all the questions I got wrong.

- According to the schedule, I will finish the whole Quant review and practice sets right before I start my f/t job in September. I will have to cut my studying down from 5-8 hours per day to 2-4 hours per day when the job starts. I think that is a sufficient time per day I can spend tackling my Verbal study since I have a better base for that. Do you think this is ok?

- How can I improve/track my progress in specific questions for Sentence Correction vs. Critical Reasoning vs. Reading Comp? Besides doing the idiom flashcards and attempting/reviewing as many sample questions as possible?

Thanks,

Jeff

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:21 members

by Bara » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:43 pm
JeffHauptschein wrote:Thanks Bara!

A few follow up questions:

- By twice a week, you are saying that I should take online, full-length CAT exams twice a week? So far, I've been told to take one CAT every two weeks.

By twice...I'm refering to your taking the REAL GMAT twice. :) In terms of the frequency of diagnostics, it depends on your test date, your study schedule etc..

- I am currently tracking my errors in the oGmat 2015 improvement chart. I am using the 2nd edition official book. For example, I just finished 60-Days GMAT study strategy day 5. The first day of arithmetic. After I watch all the GMATPrepNow videos, I did the PS and DS problem sets and recorded them in the improvement chart. When I start studying tomorrow, before tackling the next days GMATPrepNow videos, I will review my mistakes. I am flagging all the questions I got wrong.

- According to the schedule, I will finish the whole Quant review and practice sets right before I start my f/t job in September. I will have to cut my studying down from 5-8 hours per day to 2-4 hours per day when the job starts. I think that is a sufficient time per day I can spend tackling my Verbal study since I have a better base for that. Do you think this is ok?

So far it sounds great. I'd like to see in your schedule some longer study time on the weekends, as well as time that you're not doing any study at all, but letting your brain integrate the content/strategy you've learning... for you to have 'some' balance. You'll perform best with balance - - bring in some exercise, fresh air, social time with family/friends. Yes, really. I don't want to see you burn out.

- How can I improve/track my progress in specific questions for Sentence Correction vs. Critical Reasoning vs. Reading Comp? Besides doing the idiom flashcards and attempting/reviewing as many sample questions as possible?

The SC is driven by meaning, however, you still need to know formal written English rules, so you can isolate when you get questions wrong, what grammatical rule you violated. With CR and RC, you want to also identify the question types you're getting right/wrong. And with the verbal section, in general, you can improve your performance by employing speed reading techniques.

Feel free to ask more questions if anything else comes up or if I've not been thorough enough for you here.

Cheers!
Bara Sapir, MA, CHt, CNLP
Founder/CEO City Test Prep
Maximize your Score, Minimize your Stress!
GMAT Badass and Test Anxiety Relief Expert
SPEEDREADING: https://citytestprep.com/mindflow-workshops/
ANXIETY RELIEF: https://citytestprep.com/mindfulness-therapy/
BOOK: https://tinyurl.com/TPNYSC
TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McA4aqCNS-c