Difficulty of the Official Guide Quantitative Review? 2nd Ed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
I'm currently going through the math problems for this book and am finding it easier than the Official Guide. Is that correct?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:00 am
Quantitative review contain question which is not in official guide. Questions of various difficulties are distributed uniformly. So may be you solved the questions form less difficulty level or you aptitude is now at that level where you can solve higher level questions easily.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by dabral » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 pm
In my opinion the difficulty level of the quant questions in the Official Guide 13th Edition and Official Guide Quant Review 2nd Edition is about the same.

The only difference is that the OG 13th Edition has more of the recently retired GMAT questions, although as a percent they are still a small fraction. Many of these recently retired GMAT questions are fairly difficult and are distributed somewhat randomly in OG13 and don't really follow the supposedly increasing difficulty of the questions in the Official Guide. I believe this is mostly because GMAC is lazy in properly ordering the questions by their correct difficulty level.

Here are some examples in the Official Guide 13th that don't follow the difficulty trend:
Problem Solving: 56, 64, 66, 71, 77, 80, 95, 111, 112, etc.

Obviously I can't claim that the above questions are definitely harder than the rest in that category, because I don't have access to the statistics on these questions. However, I am pretty certain that they are harder on average than where they are placed in the Official Guide.

All of these problems are retired GMAT problems from over the last five or six years since Pearson took over writing the GMAT.

Cheers,
Dabral
Free Video Explanations: 2021 GMAT OFFICIAL GUIDE.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:54 am
Agreed, the difficulties are comparable... Also, I think that for the most part the increasing difficulty theory is correct, but there are a few outliers. Often learning the correct approach to the GMAT can illustrate how some seemingly difficult questions are actually pretty easy.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review