Difficulty of OG quant questions

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

Difficulty of OG quant questions

by AleksandrM » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:41 pm
I have a question about questions #200 to 249 in the OG problem solving portion. What difficulty level would these questions be considered. I have been working through this section, and getting about 4 to 6 wrong per 40 questions attempted, but feel as if I have hit a point where I am challenged much more. I went up to 210 fine, but after that just started getting questions wrong more often than usual. Just curious to know if anyone has a feel for or actually knows what level these are. Thanks in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:21 am
I would say the many of the questions in the final 30-40 questions would be in the difficulty range for 700-750 score.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:39 pm
Agreed - they don't officially tell us, of course, but these are the hardest questions.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MeddlingKid » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:04 am
Are these problems representative of the highest difficulty of quant we are likely to see on the actual GMAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 am
They are representative of some of the hardest quant problems but probably not the absolute highest difficulty possible - I've seen harder questions on the test (but then I'm scoring in the high 700s, so I am occasionally seeing the absolute hardest questions in the pool).

Also remember that you're not going to get everything right - no matter how good you get, the test will give you stuff you can't do. So let's say you can get the 720 level Qs right but you get all the 750 level Qs wrong - that's fine. Your score will still be around 720, which is a fantastic score. As long as you can get most of the questions right at and below whatever difficulty level you're shooting for, you'll get the score you want.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me