Did not beat the gmat, 440:(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Did not beat the gmat, 440:(

by Idiootja » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:57 pm
Today I made my GMAT. I scored 38 on math and 15 on verbal:(. I need to get 550 before 18 july. What do you guys suggest? Can I really reach 550 in 1 month?

I really had a hard keeping up with the timing on both verbal and math. I just randomaly guessed a lot of questions on both verbal and math. I thought the verbal part was really hard.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:60 members

by arun@crackverbal » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:14 pm
I am sorry to hear your score.

At the outset - it is indeed very much possible to boost your scores by another 100 points.

The way I see it the problem is not so much with concepts but with the techniques. My suggestion over the next few weeks:

1. Take atleast 2 tests per week including the GMATPrep tests about 4 days (2 times with each install and reinstall once :)). Plus take the online tests offered by various test prep courses. You should easily have more than 9 tests!

2. Get a good "basic" book. At this level I recommend going in for something like Princeton Review since it presents the topics in a simple manner.

3. Solve as much of the Official Guide 12th edition as possible.

Ensure that you analyze each question to the core - understanding topical nuances - why each answer choice is given so in sentence correction, or how you could have back-solved the question in math. etc.

With the above basic approach you should see an improvement. Do let us know how it goes.

Arun

Arun
Founder of CrackVerbal - India's fastest growing GMAT Prepration and MBA Admissions Consulting Company. https://gmat.crackverbal.com

Free Ebook on GMAT | GMAT Scoring, Study plan, top study mistakes etc
Download here: https://gmat.crackverbal.com/15-minute-gmat-guide

Good enough to get into Harvard? Or would be it ISB? Get a free profile report PDF mailed to you: https://applications.crackverbal.com/fre ... valuation/

by Idiootja » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:12 am
arun@crackverbal wrote:I am sorry to hear your score.

At the outset - it is indeed very much possible to boost your scores by another 100 points.

The way I see it the problem is not so much with concepts but with the techniques. My suggestion over the next few weeks:

1. Take atleast 2 tests per week including the GMATPrep tests about 4 days (2 times with each install and reinstall once :)). Plus take the online tests offered by various test prep courses. You should easily have more than 9 tests!

2. Get a good "basic" book. At this level I recommend going in for something like Princeton Review since it presents the topics in a simple manner.

3. Solve as much of the Official Guide 12th edition as possible.

Ensure that you analyze each question to the core - understanding topical nuances - why each answer choice is given so in sentence correction, or how you could have back-solved the question in math. etc.

With the above basic approach you should see an improvement. Do let us know how it goes.

Arun

Arun
Thanx for the information! By Princetown review you mean "Cracking the GMAT"? That is the book I have now:D

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by phoenix111 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:31 pm
Idiootja wrote:Today I made my GMAT. I scored 38 on math and 15 on verbal:(. I need to get 550 before 18 july. What do you guys suggest? Can I really reach 550 in 1 month?

I really had a hard keeping up with the timing on both verbal and math. I just randomaly guessed a lot of questions on both verbal and math. I thought the verbal part was really hard.
If its just a matter of 100 more points, then it is very much possible within the time constrains u have.

Firstly, take around 4-5 tests ( 1 per week )---This will help you to get used to the speed u need to finish off the test properly and will improve your time management drastically.

Secondly,analyse the test and note down the number of silly mistakes u made( question u could have easily cracked but still coudnt due to sheer lack of concentration). Try to reduce this number on the next test.

Lastly, if u know there is a topic where u r really weak and really find it hard to crack questions in that area, then just guess the answer and move forward.
This will save you a lot of time which can be utilised for later questions.

And preferably use GMATPrep tests, they will give you the real feel.

All the best!!

by Idiootja » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 am
Woah!!!!!!!!!! Today I did GMATprep wrote the essays, took the same break as couple days on real test. Yet today I scored 610! A increase of 170, but I only rested these 4 days. How is this possible?

I think it was 42 for quant and 33 on verbal. This is the first time I did the GMATprep. I had a feeling the GMATprep verbal was much easier. The real test did had a lot of long texts that I couldn't read within time.

Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:750

by havok » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:47 am
It's very likely you were nervous during your exam. I'm not sure two tests per week is necessary. I would recommend one test per week, and spend the rest of the week figuring out where your weak points are.
Class of 2016 - Business School Candidate

Click here to see how I Beat The GMAT!

Followed by:2 members

by Bens4vcobra » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 am
Idiootja wrote:Today I made my GMAT. I scored 38 on math and 15 on verbal:(. I need to get 550 before 18 july. What do you guys suggest? Can I really reach 550 in 1 month?

If all you need is a 550 by next month then honestly I would focus mostly on improving your verbal score. A 38 in Quant isn't as bad as you may think. Get your verbal up to around 30 and you'll easily be above 550.
"It takes no ability to give effort. Toughness is not God-given; it's a choice. The discipline to execute is a habit." - Nick Saban

by Idiootja » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:59 pm
Today I got 30 on verbal with mgmat test prep. I remember reading that mgmat verbal is easier than real gmat. Is this right?

by Idiootja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am
I scored even lower today on the real GMAT:(..

430 - 16 verbal and 34 on math

On 19 august will be my last chance to get 550.

by havok » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:06 am
Idiootja wrote:I scored even lower today on the real GMAT:(..

Sorry to hear that - you likely need some intensive cram course if you are going to get your score higher. Whatever you did last time doesn't seem like it changed much.

I recommend a class or a private tutor.

by Idiootja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am
havok wrote:

Sorry to hear that - you likely need some intensive cram course if you are going to get your score higher. Whatever you did last time doesn't seem like it changed much.

I don't the problem really is in math. but more in verbal. I think I could do much better in math then I did today. How will a class upgrade my verbal score?

by havok » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am
Idiootja wrote:
havok wrote:

I don't the problem really is in math. but more in verbal. I think I could do much better in math then I did today. How will a class upgrade my verbal score?
A private tutor might be better for you then.

If your English skills are lacking, you will need to do a lot to raise that score of 16 to the numbers that you are looking for. Usually, I would recommend simply practicing over and over the types of questions you are looking for. A score of 16 puts you in the 10th percentile of test takers. This would suggest you likely need outside help on the verbal section of this exam.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:42 am
Although your Verbal score is lower than your Quant score, you should keep in mind that an increase in either score will raise your overall score.

It really comes down to ROI (return on investment). Here, the investment is time; you need to work on the areas that will have the greatest impact on your score in the shortest time.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by spb » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:54 am
Hey !
I was (perhaps still am) in a same boat as you. But i did improve my verbal from 18 to 35 in the 2nd attempt.

If you think you are not bad with english, try to first understand the meaning of the sentence in SC. Then go hunting for the parallelism or S-V agreement rules that you have learned. Ofcourse this will need some time. In the meanwhile, keep doing CR questions from OG. Try to read the explanations given in the book(or better, hunt for them on BTG) for the questions u've got right or wrong. You will see the difference.

Otherwise, as aptly put by the expert above, try to sharpen the section you are strong at i.e. Quant. It will certainly help a lot to pull up your score to 550