Did I beat the GMAT? I don't know, but I am proud of my 680!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:680
Although I don't scored 700 or over.
I just want to share my experience.
The first time I got 610 (Q47 V28).
I change my plan and started to prepare the TOEFL first. One year working on my English.
And I took the GMAT again today and score 680 (Q48 V35)
I know that is not a 700, but I think that I have improved a lot my score.
If someone want to, I can provide further details.
Did I beat the gmat? I don't know, but I am proud of score!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 am
if you're proud and satisfied with your score then YES you did beat the gmat! Congratulations!

"beating" it is all relative even though on here it seems as though 700 is the cut off... but as GMAT averages increase 710 may be the cut off soon.... and then that'll be considered "beating" it... so... don't worry too much about that...
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by Reva » Fri May 14, 2010 1:00 pm
hey congratulations!!

can u please debrief your journey. what was ur strategy , ur study plan , books u referred, time u spent

I am an average student esp having hard time in verbal section . can u please guide me

by moliver » Sun May 16, 2010 3:01 am
Hi thanks to both.

"How to get a decent score" by a normal student.

This is only for normal people, if you are genius and see things like in the matrix movie please go and see other post with the subject like "how score 780" :D

Background: I am not an English native speaker (Argentinean) and I have engineer degree. Six year of work experience.
My first attempt to the gmat was in December of 2008. I scored 610 (Q47 V28). I realized that I need a lot to improve in verbal so I decided to start preparing the TOEFL first and then return to the GMAT. I spend all 2009 working in my English and trying to improve as much as possible. I took the TOEFL exam in December of last year and I started studying for GMAT again in March 2010.

I also enrolled for the Knewton course that was VERY helpful for me because it allow me to remember key concepts of math and gave me a lot of exercise to do. I enrolled in the Knewton course because of the 50-points guarantee policy. I am glad to tell you that I am not going to ask for a refund.

The course was great and I did it in only one month. Of course I had to watch a lot of the lesson on-demand.
About practice test that I took:
I took the 5 Knewton's Test and I score on average 610. Before the exam I was worried over my performance. But now, I can tell you that Knewton exam are much harder than the real GMAT exam is.
I also did the Manhattan free test, and again, for me there were some exercises that were harder than the real ones.

In my first attemp I also read the Manhattan SC and CR guide. These guides were fine, but to short for me and without to much practice to do (only from the official guide).

Finally, I also use this forum a lot. It was a great help. There are a lot of experts with great tips and very useful information.
But be careful about the amount of information that the site has. I think that one of the key is to to select only useful information!!

On the test day: Just think about what you are going to do next after the test.

If you are interested just let me know and I will provide further details.

by Reva » Sun May 16, 2010 7:07 am
thanks

GMAT Score:750

by ashforgmat » Sun May 16, 2010 8:20 pm
Congrats on your Wonderful score....please can you tell me precisely how much time is given between the 2 essays and between one essay and Quant and between Quant and Verbal sections...I am writing my GMAT tomorrow and cannot find this info on mba.com...

Thanks a lot,
Ash.

by moliver » Mon May 17, 2010 5:59 am
thanks!!

8 minutes between each section

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:46 members

by EducationAisle » Tue May 18, 2010 7:06 am
moliver wrote:Hi thanks to both.

I beg to differ that you are a 'normal student'. What you've shown is an extraordinary courage to stand up to the challenge and take it by the horns. By your determination and your hard work, you have rightfully earned bragging rights!!

Congratulations and best of luck on your MBA journey.

by moliver » Tue May 18, 2010 8:07 am
EducationAisle wrote:

I beg to differ that you are a 'normal student'. What you've shown is an extraordinary courage to stand up to the challenge and take it by the horns. By your determination and your hard work, you have rightfully earned bragging rights!!

Congratulations and best of luck on your MBA journey.
Thank you EducationAisle!
However, it seems that the MBA process is getting harder each year and with a 680 is not enough for a lot of schools.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ajayaleo » Fri May 28, 2010 12:46 am

This is only for normal people, if you are genius and see things like in the matrix movie please go and see other post with the subject like "how score 780" :D

Dear MOLIVER...thanks a lot for describing the way u beat the GMAT and.....It inspire in a great way..howver i like to know more from you..in details how u start ur planning and hw u achive that ...as my profile is in very much similar to u...so it would be great help for me.....I am an engineering graduate and having 5 years of work experince in Steel and power industry and not a native english speaker too (as I am from India). Being an engineering graduate always have interst for quant and good at that but the level in english in poor....

so your guidance will be indispensable in my preparation...also it is requited to have a TOEFL score for apply to US schools or u appear to improve ur english only.....

As I have decided and about to start my praparation..at this point your guidance will be a guiding force....

please mail me at [email protected]

Thanks a lot

Ajaya

by moliver » Sat May 29, 2010 3:48 am
Hi Ajaya, I just sent you an email with the information that you wanted!