Destroyed and confused...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Destroyed and confused...

by pulchritudinous » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 pm
I just took the GMAT and got a shocking 610. My first practice test (MGMAT) that I took was a 630 (before studying at all).

I normally don't do so great on standardized exams, but this wasn't just "not doing well." After two months of studying, I would have expected so much more. The average of my GMATPrep exams was about 660, so I was hoping for a 650.

I feel like I would have gotten the same score had I not studied.
Should I even bother retaking it? What if the same thing happens? Some people are just terrible at taking standardized computer-adaptive tests.

What do you think happened? Maybe I did well on the experimental questions and proportionately bad on the real questions? Could it have just been bad luck?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:760

by unclesam2013 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:21 pm
Could be a variety of factors including the getting most experimental questions correct theory that you have proposed but since you are targeting a reasonable score of 650, I think you MUST retake the GMAT. Start working on your weakenesses and you should be good to go in a month