Deer Question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Deer Question

by student22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 am
Of all the wild animals in their area, none was more useful to the Delaware tribes than the Virginia white-tailed deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut for bindings and glue.

(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
(B) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide used for clothing, with its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut used
(C) deer, which was a source of meat, with its hide used for clothing, antlers and bones for tools, as well as its sinews and gut used
(D) deer, which, as well as being a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut were
(E) deer, with, as well as being a source of meat, its hide used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut

OA: A

Here's my issue with A, subject verb agreement:

it's hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut.

Now, what this is basically saying is that it's antlers and bones was used for tools.

But that's not, right, it should be were used. So, I thought B, since that answer choice doesn't have that problem.

But, this is an official GMAT paper test question, so I know that I'm wrong, and it is right. Can someone please explain why?

GMAT Score:740

by Domnu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:09 pm
Parallelism usually deals with tenses, but not plural-ness.
Have you wondered how you could have found such a treasure? -T

by student22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:38 pm
can you elaborate, please?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:64 members
GMAT Score:790

by kevincanspain » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 pm
We often write sentences such as:

The kitchen was renovated by company A, the bathroom (was renovated) by company B, and the bedrooms (were renovated) by company C

Here, the verbs omitted are identical tenses but differ in terms of number (singular vs plural). This is admissible in written English
Kevin Armstrong
GMAT Instructor
Gmatclasses
Madrid

by student22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Wow, I thought that was just colloquialism and was not correct on the GMAT. Good to know, thanks Kevin.

That's why I asked. It sounded right to me (by ear), but I thought it would be wrong technically.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by poohv005 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 pm
answer is A: it maintains parallelism.
deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
for bindings and glue.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sarthak » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:11 pm
(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut .

If we talk about parralelism then the structure should be :::::: (A) deer: it was a source of X, its hide was used for Y, its antlers and bones for Z, and its sinews and gut

How does in between four parallel structures there is an and ?????? And is always used to introduce the last part of a parallel sentense ?

Can any one please explain ?[/u]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bleedthegmat » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 am
sarthak wrote:(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut .

If we talk about parralelism then the structure should be :::::: (A) deer: it was a source of X, its hide was used for Y, its antlers and bones for Z, and its sinews and gut

How does in between four parallel structures there is an and ?????? And is always used to introduce the last part of a parallel sentense ?

Can any one please explain ?[/u]
IMO the parallelism is maintained coz : (It was source of X )and (Its "A" was useful, Its "B" was useful and Its "C" was useful)

Hope this helps!!

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:660

by vivek1110 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:57 pm
(A) deer: it was a source of meat, and its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, and its sinews and gut
Option A does not seem to be parallel, wouldn't this make better parallel construction?

deer: it was a source of meat, its hide was used for clothing, its antlers and bones for tools, AND its sinews and gut.

I thought using so many AND's in a single sentence, doesn't exaclty count as parallel.

Can somebody explain this to me?
Is caught between a rock and a hard place!