Dangling modifier vs -ING form

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Dangling modifier vs -ING form

by nonameee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:39 pm
Manhattan SC Guide says that the following sentence is incorrect (dangling modifier):
Using the latest technology, the mechanical problem was solved quickly.
I've read numerous posts by experts that an -ING form can modify the whole clause (and not only the subject + the verb of the main clause).

Why then in the sentence above 'using the latests technology' cannot modify the whole clause?

Thank you.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm
=
nonameee wrote:Manhattan SC Guide says that the following sentence is incorrect (dangling modifier):
Using the latest technology, the mechanical problem was solved quickly.
I've read numerous posts by experts that an -ING form can modify the whole clause (and not only the subject + the verb of the main clause).

Why then in the sentence above 'using the latests technology' cannot modify the whole clause?

Thank you.
Even when an introductory modifier serves as an adverb modifying the following clause, each word WITHIN the modifier still has its own separate function.

For example, in the sentence above, the latest technology is the direct object of using.

Generally, when an introductory modifier begins with VERBing, the VERBing serves as an ADJECTIVE modifying the SUBJECT of the following clause. The subject of the following clause should be performing the action of the VERBing.

Thus, in the sentence above, using is an adjective modifying the mechanical problem. This meaning makes no sense. The mechanical problem is not USING the latest technology.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by nonameee » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:53 pm
Mitch, thank you.

So if I understood you correctly, the -ING modifier must always (logically) relate to the subject of the main clause, even though the modifier itself modifies the whole clause?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:11 am
nonameee wrote:Mitch, thank you.

So if I understood you correctly, the -ING modifier must always (logically) relate to the subject of the main clause, even though the modifier itself modifies the whole clause?
Keep it simple. When a sentence begins with a VERBing modifier + COMMA:

-- The noun right after the comma should be performing the action of the VERBing.
-- The VERBing should express an action that is happening AT THE SAME TIME as the action of the following clause.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by nonameee » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 am
Thank you very much.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by shayam » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:27 pm
Thanks Mitch.
Also,Is it true that. if the present participle modifier is placed after the subject verb clause followed by comma., it should modify the entire clause and it never modifies the subject alone?
If this is not true.. Could you please share an example ...

Is this construct correct..
The mechanical problem was solved quickly,using the latest technology ?
Just for deeper understanding,How can the above clause-modifier be modified.. to incorrectly differ in tense?

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by tomada » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 am
I think the statement would be grammatically correct if written as follows:

Using the latest technology, Mitch solved the mechanical problem quickly.
I'm really old, but I'll never be too old to become more educated.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by info2 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:09 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
nonameee wrote:Mitch, thank you.

Keep it simple. When a sentence begins with a VERBing modifier + COMMA:

-- The noun right after the comma should be performing the action of the VERBing.
-- The VERBing should express an action that is happening AT THE SAME TIME as the action of the following clause.
Hi Mitch

In the following sentence are choice B and D wrong because they use ing-modifier for an action that does not happen at the same time?
Choice D also uses the conj but which distorts the meaning.

Arctic terns, being true long-distance migrants, they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe but fly south for thousands of miles to spend the European winters in Antarctica

A. Arctic terns, being true long distance migrants , they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
B. Arctic terns are true long distance migrants, nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
C. Being that they are true long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
D. Nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe, arctic terns are true long distant migrants
E. True long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:03 am
info2 wrote:In the following sentence are choice B and D wrong because they use ing-modifier for an action that does not happen at the same time?
Choice D also uses the conj but which distorts the meaning.

Arctic terns, being true long-distance migrants, they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe but fly south for thousands of miles to spend the European winters in Antarctica

A. Arctic terns, being true long distance migrants , they nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
B. Arctic terns are true long distance migrants, nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
C. Being that they are true long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
D. Nesting in coastal wetlands of northern Europe, arctic terns are true long distant migrants
E. True long distance migrants, arctic terns nest in coastal wetlands of northern Europe
Your reasons for eliminating B and D are valid.
I posted an explanation for this SC here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/arctic-terns ... tml#776306

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3