Criteria to get admission to top b-schools ?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi friends

(I am not sure if the post is in the correct thread)

I have just started preparation for GMAT with hope of doing 1 year executive MBA program from one of the top B-Schools. My researches on executive MBA program have landed me in a confused state where i am not sure if my dream (MBA) is practically realizable.
Exec MBA programs are offered by schools in India like IIM's & ISB and other top B-schools around the world. The fees for those programs are significantly higher outside India. Also i read that during placement process of B-schools outside india companies prefer local people over others (ex:US passport holder over an Indian passport holder). Is this correct?
Another information I came across is that admission process for MBA programs is based on a variety of factors. GMAT score is only a cut off criteria. So, the admissions depend on a lot of factors like profile, interview performance and host of other things which I am not much aware.
I guess that profile is something you can't change at this stage.
My concern is whether my profile is not impressive enough or not? The reason being the fact that, I don't have much academic / extra curricular achievements so far to put a colourful mark on my profile. Most of my small achievements if any have been attained during my past 8 year of work experience.
So, Am I chasing something which is practically out of reach?
NSK

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:43 am
Hi nskandan - it's true - the process of digging into this whole bschool question can be overwhelming!

A top MBA program in the US or Europe will look at a bunch of factors in evaluating your candidacy: GMAT score (not just the total score, but also the three separate components); academic history; work experience, both in terms of years and accomplishments, extracurriculars, particularly recent community involvement, and, very important, career goals (why you want an MBA). Yes, the interview matters too, but in most cases you are only invited to interview if they like the rest of your application.

The good news for you is that the EMBA programs are much more liberal in terms of how they evaluate these elements, even at the very best schools. It's usually easier to get into the EMBA at, say, UC-Berkeley or Columbia than it is their standard 2-yr full-time MBA programs, which are REALLY competitive. Your 8 years of work experience puts you in a good spot to qualify for any of these EMBA options.

Now, most EMBA programs are designed for working professionals - you would probably not be able to keep your job in India and fly to the States for class every week, right? :wink: And, they are also expensive, as you have seen. The ISB program for working professionals might be a better fit for you based on these factors. There are also several 1-year MBA programs - full-time residency with an aggressive 14- or 16-month schedule - mostly in Europe (INSEAD, LBS, IMD, etc.), with some options like the 1Y MBA at Kellogg (there are different requirements for that though - Google it if you're interested).

It can be tough for Indian candidates to get into a top U.S. MBA program if they're unable to demonstrate why they need to come to the States in order to achieve their career goals. And yes, there can also be issues with securing the right visas for employment once you graduate, so even if you intend to stay in the States to begin a new career after bschool, it's not always easy to find an employer who will sponsor you for the visa requirements. All of these can make the process daunting - but people are successful at it every year, so if it's your dream to do it, you should definitely give it a shot!

It's hard to say anything further about whether your profile would be attractive to any specific school without knowing more; the GMAT score does matter, though you're right that it is not the only thing. The best schools look for evidence of accomplishment and achievement in all areas of your life, so it's up to you to come up with compelling stories in the essays that you write - many people find that this is the hardest part of all! Applying to a great bschool is not a trivial task. The good news is that you've come to the right place - BTG has awesome resources and support and lots of excellent information (you can also check out our blog at https://essaysnark.blocked ) - so keep reading, and posting, and you will make your way through this confusing process!!

Best of luck!
EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!