creativity vs Business

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:740

creativity vs Business

by 2010gmat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:34 am
Analyst: Creative professionals, such as clothing designers, graphic designers, and decorators, often have very
poor managerial skills and do not succeed when they try to run their own businesses. In fact, most of these
creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional who does not work in a
creative field. Generally, creative talent and business acumen rarely go hand in hand. If the analyst's argument is
taken as true, which of the following statements can properly be concluded?
"¢ No successful businesspeople are creative.
"¢ Some creative types are not less skilled at business than is the average white-collar worker who is not creative.
"¢ Creativity precludes success in business.
"¢ Any white-collar worker who is not creative is more successful in business than any creative professional.
"¢ Business is not a creative endeavor.

oa post some discussion...{actually i could not find a single choice that could be termed as the conclusion of given passage but could only find one choice that can be inferred...

so my question is -- can we get sucha a question in real GMAT? and if yes then is it better to select an inference or go for an extreme choice??

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:24 pm
Is this an LSAT question? I find it pretty hard to answer... Or maybe it's just me... I'd say the answer is E, although I'm only 75% sure. This is because all other answers seem a bit too extreme to me: too many "hard" words such as "any", "precludes". However, B is also a strong candidate, but more of an inference than anything else.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by nakul_anand » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:08 pm
IMO the answer is B.

The second line of the argument reads-

'most of these creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional who does not work in a creative field.'

Therefore not all or some creative types are not less skilled than the average white-collar professional who does not work in a creative field.

Option B is therefore the most tempting one.

The only flaw in B is the word 'creative'. B uses 'creative' as opposed to 'creative field'. A white-collar proffesional who does not work in a creative field can be creative to some extent.

But still B is what I would go with.

Regards!!![/spoiler][/b]

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by vittalgmat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:14 pm
2010gmat wrote:Analyst: Creative professionals, such as clothing designers, graphic designers, and decorators, often have very
poor managerial skills and do not succeed when they try to run their own businesses. In fact,most of these
creative types are less skilled in business than is the average white-collar professional who does not work in a
creative field.
Generally, creative talent and business acumen rarely go hand in hand. If the analyst's argument is
taken as true, which of the following statements can properly be concluded?
"¢ No successful businesspeople are creative.
"¢ Some creative types are not less skilled at business than is the average white-collar worker who is not creative.
"¢ Creativity precludes success in business.
"¢ Any white-collar worker who is not creative is more successful in business than any creative professional.
"¢ Business is not a creative endeavor.

oa post some discussion...{actually i could not find a single choice that could be termed as the conclusion of given passage but could only find one choice that can be inferred...

so my question is -- can we get sucha a question in real GMAT? and if yes then is it better to select an inference or go for an extreme choice??
IMO the answer is B.
Here is my thought process:
While reading the stimulus, I keep a watch on key words like most, less, always etc..
In this stimulus I have marked the keywords relevent to the solution. Whenever I see "most" I translate it to " > 50". Most "could be" ALL but not necessarily. Once this is understood, we can crack this problem in less than a minute. In my mind, I say " <= 100 but not necessarily so." I guess you got point. The opposite (sort of ) of most is some. So essentially the stimulus is saying that most (higher percentage) of creative professionals ( ALL or less than ALL) are less skilled in biz than.. blah blah.
So we can safely assume that there is Atleast some of them who are equally or more skilled in biz than ..blah blah.
Also, since the stimulus dint say "ALL", we can argue that some of the creative prof >= others in biz.

That is what B seems to say.
The other choices are too extreme or out of scope.

HT helps

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by mehravikas » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:03 pm
IMO - B

GMAT Score:740

by 2010gmat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:23 pm
OA is B...

@Dana..this one is not from LSAT...

but i have one issue with B....B is simply an inference and not looking like a conclusion....and i also felt that either C or E is better but they are too extreme...

thats why i asked what to do in such cases?? simply pick inference or go for extreme choices...

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:09 am
It's a bit difficult to say, really... I guess picking the inference is the safer path, although I am not convinced. The conclusion should flow naturally after the argument, not relate more strongly to the second sentence than the third...

by joseph32 » Sun May 15, 2016 10:40 pm
I am pretty sure that the right Answer is B