CR - Weakening the Argument

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

CR - Weakening the Argument

by nishant1309 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:00 am
Representative: Our prisons have been criticized for having what some say are inadequate facilities. While it is true that there are still many improvements to be made, critics should consider that improving the prisons has been one of the state's primary concerns in the past few years. In fact, we have spent more money on this project than on any other, for the past few years.

Which of the following statements, if true, most seriously undermines the reasoning in the representative's argument?

A. Prison systems in neighboring states have also been criticized for having inadequate facilities.

B. In the past few years, there has been a sharp increase in the number of felony convictions in this state.

C. Only states with presently inadequate facilities would need to allocate large amounts of money to the prison system.

D. In general, prison systems require more money to maintain than other institutions of a comparable size.

E. State funds should go toward improving the economy and eradicating homelessness, not improving the prisons.

I will put OA later on after we have a few reasonable discussions on this question. My Choice: E.

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 am
Opinion: What is the reason given? Find it... kill it
We have spent more money on this project than anyother in past few years

E) Out of scope... topic is on prison not homelessness
A) strengthens
B) Not bad...funds are kept on increased convicts and not to facilites
C) What happens to other prisons funding is a DONT CARE
D) Other institutes... irrelevent

IMO B

Legendary Member

by aspirant2011 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:21 am
I would go with C............

A wrong because out of scope
B wrong because increase in the crimes doesn't weaken anything
D wrong bec nothing is mentioned about other institutions
E wrong awkward

Wats the OA????

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:31 am
I concur with C. The conclusion of this argument is vague, but it appears that the author is telling us not to criticize the system for inadequate facilities. His reason - we've spent tons of money improving them.

C says - "yeah, you've spent a ton of money, but it's because the system was a mess to begin with." That position is corroborated by the author's admission that there are still many improvements to be made.

While it is true that increasing convictions would most likely increase the prison population, we are told only that the facilities are "inadequate" and need improvements, not that they are overcrowded.
Tani Wolff

by nishant1309 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:34 pm
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:I concur with C. The conclusion of this argument is vague, but it appears that the author is telling us not to criticize the system for inadequate facilities. His reason - we've spent tons of money improving them.

C says - "yeah, you've spent a ton of money, but it's because the system was a mess to begin with." That position is corroborated by the author's admission that there are still many improvements to be made.

While it is true that increasing convictions would most likely increase the prison population, we are told only that the facilities are "inadequate" and need improvements, not that they are overcrowded.
Thanks Tani! OA is option "C".

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm
I read "only" as "other".... I am sorry Nishi and to myself as well...

by wayofjungle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:07 pm
I also say 'C' is the best answer choice.

The conclusion: "critics should consider that improving the prisons has been one of the state's primary concerns in the past few years"

The assumptions: improvements have not been made yet, greater improvement and more money is needed before criticism will stop, inadequate facilities are the only reason the prisons are criticized, etc.

(A) outside scope of argument
(B) might strengthen argument
(C) Best answer choice, tackles the assumption that states more money is needed
(D) sounds true, but outside scope. We dont know anything about other institutions of comparable size.
(E) Too specific and judgmental