CR from Acro

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR from Acro

by Giorgio » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:42 am
Bio diesel is a fuel that can be used in most road vehicles instead of gasoline. Its use produces significantly less air pollution, Market research predicts that as this fuel becomes more widely available over the next ten years or so , hundreds of thousands of drivers will use it . We can only conclude , then, that many people care about reducing pollution.

Which of the following , if true , most strengthens this argument?

A) Many individuals try to minimize their driving in order to reduce pollution.

B) Bio diesel fuel costs 10% to 20% more than gasoline.

C) New environmental laws may require a reduction in amount of pollution new cars produce.

D) A significant amount of air pollution comes from sources other than automobiles.

E) Increased use of bio diesel will reduce the need to import gasoline form other countries.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:47 am
Giorgio wrote:Bio diesel is a fuel that can be used in most road vehicles instead of gasoline. Its use produces significantly less air pollution, Market research predicts that as this fuel becomes more widely available over the next ten years or so , hundreds of thousands of drivers will use it . We can only conclude , then, that many people care about reducing pollution.

Correct : This provides support to the conclusion that many ppl care about reducing pollution.

Incorrect : Cost is not the issue here. Pollution is the issue.

C) New environmental laws may require a reduction in amount of pollution new cars produce.
Incorrect : Amount of pollution that new cars emit is irrelevant to the scope of the argument.

D) A significant amount of air pollution comes from sources other than automobiles.
Incorrect : Issue is not about other sources of air pollution.

E) Increased use of bio diesel will reduce the need to import gasoline form other countries.
Incorrect : Import-Export is out of scope.
Hope this helps : )

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:59 am

by Giorgio » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:29 am
komal wrote:
Giorgio wrote:Bio diesel is a fuel that can be used in most road vehicles instead of gasoline. Its use produces significantly less air pollution, Market research predicts that as this fuel becomes more widely available over the next ten years or so , hundreds of thousands of drivers will use it . We can only conclude , then, that many people care about reducing pollution.

Correct : This provides support to the conclusion that many ppl care about reducing pollution.

Incorrect : Cost is not the issue here. Pollution is the issue.

Incorrect : Amount of pollution that new cars emit is irrelevant to the scope of the argument.

Incorrect : Issue is not about other sources of air pollution.

Incorrect : Import-Export is out of scope.
Hope this helps : )
I Agree , but you'll be shocked now OA is : B funny yeah?

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:34 am
Giorgio wrote:
I Agree , but you'll be shocked now OA is : B funny yeah?
wowwwwwww we need some expert explanations here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:45 am
I too belong to A camp.

We are told to strengthen the conclusion - many people care about reducing pollution, only option A shows that people are conscious about pollution and so they prefer to reduce driving to cut pollution.

B, in fact, weakening the conclusion, in that its trying to focus the usage of Bio diesel by people mainly to save cost. People don't care about pollution but for cost and so they are using the Bio Diesel.

Q stem says - most strengthens this argument? Do u think something fishy here..argument or it should have been conclusion ?

by Giorgio » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:51 am
I have just completed ARCO's CAT , and this question is form there, I just reviewed my performance and the test is completely out of the space. I got 60 in Q huh?

and 32 in V, but questions were very controversial , like this one.

Followed by:1 members

by akahuja143 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:57 am
My Pick would be A

by vijay_venky » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:36 pm
I am between A and B.

A- This clearly states that many individuals try to minimize their driving in order to reduce the pollution.

B- This actually strengthens the conclusion by proving that though the price of Bio-diesel is greater than that of gasoline, people on the survey say they will use it. This strengthens the conclusion that pollution concern is the reason.

Please help me in reasoning out why B is incorrect.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:07 am
I will stick with B

Incorrect : This statement does not support the statement "Market research predicts that as this fuel becomes more widely available over the next ten years or so , hundreds of thousands of drivers will use it".

Correct : Though the cost has increased, people are ready to use the bio diesel fuel

Incorrect : Out of scope.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Bozena » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:50 am
I think it should be C

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Lance123 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:04 pm
outreach wrote:I will stick with B

Incorrect : This statement does not support the statement "Market research predicts that as this fuel becomes more widely available over the next ten years or so , hundreds of thousands of drivers will use it".

Correct : Though the cost has increased, people are ready to use the bio diesel fuel

I agree,

A adds nothing to the argument, it doesn't address bio diesel at all.

B is indeed correct as it clearly eludes to the fact that although this new Bio diesel will be more expensive than traditional fuels people are still willing to use it. Hence they are indeed concerned about its only other benefit. i.e. Better for the environment.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by [email protected] » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:11 am
B my pick...

Option shows motivation for reducing the pollution...(people choosing the biod even with the costs being higher)..

"A" may be eliminated only becuase there is no BioD link with the reduced usage....

Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:24 am
outreach wrote:I will stick with B

As correctly indicated by outreach brother, this is the only reason why B superior to A

Reduction in the number of drivers --does not mean that pollution will be less.

It is highly possible that "one driver uses 2 or more cars" instead "one driver using only one car"

so pollution will increase or remain the same what it is now --- rules out

Answer is naturally B ;)
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 am
sumanr84 wrote:I too belong to A camp.

We are told to strengthen the conclusion - many people care about reducing pollution, only option A shows that people are conscious about pollution and so they prefer to reduce driving to cut pollution.

B, in fact, weakening the conclusion, in that its trying to focus the usage of Bio diesel by people mainly to save cost. People don't care about pollution but for cost and so they are using the Bio Diesel.

Q stem says - most strengthens this argument? Do u think something fishy here..argument or it should have been conclusion ?
Premise 1 : Bio diesel produces less pollution.
Premise 2 : research shows that many people will use it as it becomes widely available.
Conclusion: Many people care about reducing pollution.

Now imagine, despite being widely available, if bio diesel's price is more /gallon or /liter than gasoline and still, people are buying it. How will you justify the extra-spending ? They want their vehicles to pollute less.

which lends support to the conclusion :

=> many people who are buying bio-diesel care about reducing pollution.
Regards,
Harsha