100%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Could someone please rate this essay

by teju445 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:25 pm
Hi,

I have my GMAT exam in 2 weeks. Could someone help me by rating this essay.

ESSAY QUESTION:
"Since key personal traits that make a good leader are formed during one's childhood and youth, formal training can only refine rather than cultivate true leaders."

Explain what you think this quotation means and discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with it. Develop your position with reasons and/or specific examples drawn from history, current events, or your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:
Leaders are not made. They are born. The issue stated above is very much important in today's world. Personal traits should be innate rather than inculcated. Furthermore, the courage and skills are unique to a person rather than force them into somebody. I strongly agree with the above issue. Key personal traits that make a good leader are formed during one's childhood and youth and formal training can only refine rather than cultivate true leaders.
Leaders are born with the skills. They have the urge to serve the society and to do something good for the society right from their childhood. This reminds me of the 1947 Independence movement in India. MK Gandhi was leading the Indian Independence movement right from the front. He was a student leader and was always passionate to serve the society. After finishing his law, he came back to India and started the Non-violence movement, a first of its kind. He was not trained to fight, he was not taught to serve. He had the urge from within to serve. Even though many other leaders were initially apprehensive about winning independence through non-violence, Gandhi proved everyone wrong. Today, he is popularly known as the Father of the Nation for his sacrifice and selflessness.
Today's world has changed a lot. People try to acquire leadership skills by training. India, though a democratic country is more or less like a kingdom today. The leaders want their children to take up their positions after them. This leads to a downtrodden and corrupt society because their children are inept at handling the countries responsibilities. Though they are trained to become leaders they lack the basic experience and the traits which are innate in a true leader.
Children are taught right from childhood to develop these qualities. Their qualities are reflected during their childhood and youth when students participate in many activities at school ad college. Students who have these qualities in them try to be student leaders etc and stand apart from the rest of the students. They have the urge to serve their school or college which would benefit the institution. They take part in student elections and encourage others to help the society.
In sum, I would argue that personal traits required to make a good leader are formed during childhood and youth and hence formal training cannot help much but refine them to a certain extent. Even though a person wants to be leader, formal training would make him acquainted with the necessary traits but he is unlikely to succeed in the long run as he didn't acquire the basic leadership traits right from his childhood or youth.

Thanks In Advance