connecting punctuation

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

connecting punctuation

by Anh Duong » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:25 pm
Studies have found that deaf children from American families who identify themselves as culturally deaf, and use sign language, are generally on a par with hearing children in terms of reading and writing, because they have been exposed to language since birth.

and use sign language, are generally
using sign language, are generally
use sign language, and are generally
and using sign language are generally
and use sign language, generally

Can somebody explain why there is a comma after "deaf"?

Thanks

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:01 pm
Actually I find the comma unnecessary. *Actually, after I wrote this, Jim from Stratus prep corrected me below. So check out the rest of my explanation and then see what he had to say.*

So the answer to your question is that probably there is no good reason for the comma to be there.

Having said that, in writing one often has some leeway in the use of commas, and sometimes one may place a comma somewhere for emphasis.

For instance, one could say, "I ran into Sue and John at the beach." Ok, fine, that makes sense.

At the same time, if one wanted to emphasize that there was something special about running into not just Sue but also John, one might put commas around and John. "I ran into Sue, and John, at the beach."

Does it make sense that the writer of the sentence you are wondering about wanted to somehow emphasize that the people being discussed don't just identify themselves as culturally deaf but also use sign language? Not really. Maybe the writer added the commas to make the rest of the answers choices work.
Last edited by MartyMurray on Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:37 am
Marty's explanation about emphasis is correct, but I think the phrasing actually does need to be emphasized here. It is a key component that the families use sign language - the use is what develops language abilities, the topic of the sentence. It would be easy to miss that point otherwise.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:09 am
Jim@StratusPrep wrote:Marty's explanation about emphasis is correct, but I think the phrasing actually does need to be emphasized here. It is a key component that the families use sign language - the use is what develops language abilities, the topic of the sentence. It would be easy to miss that point otherwise.
Wow, Jim, you nailed it. Too funny, I explained it and then didn't even notice just how well what I explained applies. Maybe I just didn't expect to see such a subtle and well executed use of punctuation in a GMAT preparation question.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.