confused about takin GMAT???

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

confused about takin GMAT???

by yashikk9 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:10 am
i m very very confused about taking gmat...considering all the factors like funding,work experience and also the previous academic records i m not able to come to the conclusion...can someone help :(

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: confused about takin GMAT???

by aim-wsc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 pm
yashikk9 wrote:i m very very confused about taking gmat...considering all the factors like funding,work experience and also the previous academic records i m not able to come to the conclusion...can someone help :(
Yes sure! :) shoot!

First of all are you ready for MBA & do you really want to do it? BTW you can take the GMAT even if you're not ready for MBA now since the score remain valid for five years!!

OK!
Why do you want to take the GMAT?
Obviously for getting into MBA program.
So do you want to pursue an international MBA degree or an Indian one?
If you want to do it from India, is there any alternative to GMAT?
If you want to do it from abroad, why abroad? & from where? & again from why that certain place (say Europe/USA)?

So we have quite a few questions to answer to start off. :)

questions....

by yashikk9 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:57 pm
thank you for the reply....
let me be candid and tell you where exactly i m obstructed........
i surely wanna do MBA as i think i have got better qualities to get the work done rather then doing the work.
As far as the school is concerned....my dream B-school is warton business school.....as its one of the best and i want to be in the list of the great managers warton has given to the world......
there are more factors to consider ...the process of reaching my goal....
? work experience-i am a mechanical engg and joined Cognizant
technology solutions in november2007 in mumbai.I wish to apply at the
earliest i can!Nxt year june i wish to join! can someone help how is it
gonna be possible??
? Funding - i have read about the loans offered by the warton finance group.can anyone help that how much you need to financially strong to be able to avail the loans??

? time and money constraints have prevented me to get into the fullfleged preparation for MBA.

Can someone Guide me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :?

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Re: questions....

by aim-wsc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:54 pm
yashikk9 wrote: I wish to apply at the
earliest i can!Nxt year june i wish to join! can someone help how is it
gonna be possible??
It's possible if you apply this year fall sept 2008 for 1st round or dec 2008 for R2 or later rounds in early 2009.

Application deadlines vary from school to school.
Funding - i have read about the loans offered by the warton finance group.can anyone help that how much you need to financially strong to be able to avail the loans??
you'll get the loan without co-signer,once u're accepted. so dont worry about that.
This also applies to other ultra-elite b-schools.

You've a lot of research to do on this! welcome to the forums :)

yeah...how do i go about searching...

by yashikk9 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:47 am
thank you again for the reply...but thr is still chaos....yeah i know about the rounds but my question is that how do i get selected as my work ex will hardly be of one year if i apply this yr fall.....i m confused only about how things can be fallen in place.........i mean wat extra can be done that i have a substantial apportunities even with 1yr of ex....i have read a lot...people dont stand a chance of getting selected unless they come with minimum of 3yrs of experience......as far as Warton is concerned...

With less of Experience how do i make my position strong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_Tatiana » Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 pm
Personally (and let me attach all the caveats that this is just my own, personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the views of Veritas) I think that there is something to be said for gaining sufficient experience before going to business school.

I graduated from UC Berkeley in 2001, went and worked at Microsoft for 5 years, and also opened my own business in that time. I feel like I have gotten so much out of my classes at Babson because I have been in so many of the situations we examine. This was never more true than in my management classes. At that point, I had managed a team of ten... they seemed pretty happy and were performing pretty well. Still, the class gave me such valuable insight... and I was able to take that back and help develop the managers to follow the vision that I had for our company culture.

Classmates who didn't have management experience had very little to contribute to our discussions, and I can't imagine that they got as much out of the class.

To me, an MBA is so much more than 3 letters after my name. I want to learn as much as possible, and my gears are always turning about how I can apply these things to my business.

While I got a 3.5 undergrad in math and astrophysics... I got through undergrad mostly on momentum (wanting to go to grad school in astrophysics). Grades meant everything to me, and I didn't take the joy I should have in pure learning. That's probably why I decided not to go to grad school right after undergrad, but work instead. Five years later, I was sure I wanted to go to grad school for the right reasons. I think I am getting as much out of school that is possible. Ironically, my grades are even better than undergrad... I think that's what love of learning ends up doing to you.

Anyway, I think one will get the most out of an MBA when he has enough background to fully understand what it is he needs to learn to get where he wants to go.

Just my two cents. ; )

Tatiana
Tatiana Becker | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

still confused???

by yashikk9 » Tue May 13, 2008 1:35 am
I wonder why i m not able to bring my self to a mental state where i can firmly decide whether i really wanna pursue MBA in US......

Considering Financial factors........i m not able to decide can someone help??

I m an IT Professional with 6months experience and thinkin of taking Gmat in june '09....i intent to do Mba only fron the top five.....

and peole around have been discouraging me.....also the Finance??? still has a big question mark in my mind.....

Please some one guide with a relevent answer!!!

Legendary Member

by Neo2000 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:22 am
First off, its Wharton! Get the school name right!!! and if its your "dream" school that's the least you can do.

Second
"i surely wanna do MBA as i think i have got better qualities to get the work done rather then doing the work"
never ever state this as a reason for wanting to do an MBA. Not only does it mean you have no idea why you really want an MBA (because according to you an MBA apparently gives you a managerial position only and nothing else) but also that you are lazy about doing work.

Understand this--> Most, if not all, foreign MBAs are geared for ppl who have some work-ex. Because then you atleast have some experience of corporate life. If you don't have that, what exactly are you going to share in class?

You havent mentioned anything outstanding in your profile. With 1yr work-ex, and joining an IT "sweat-shop" you wont have much to write about in your essays( you do know you have to write essays?) Your experiences make you a unique individual and schools want to see that. As for top5, Harvard and Stanford are going to be really really tough.

Wharton looks for well-rounded individuals. Its great that you are starting this early because it gives you a chance to build a great application. Honestly, I would also advise you to wait another year.

With a top10 admit, you wont really have to worry about finances. What you should be worrying about is getting in. Its not that easy.