Computer Chips

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Computer Chips

by fighting_cax » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:43 pm
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips’ circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips’ circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips’ circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips

OA is B

Please explain.

by sjd00d » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 pm
Agree with B.

A: "Power .....have", should have used singular verb has
C. "both the power of the chips and electronic devices"..here power of chips is and electronic devices are compared, it should be power of chips and power of electronic devices..Also, "chip's circuits are more complex"...i am pretty sure that "are" here is not reqd. or is wrong, don't know which rule it violates though.

D and E are clearly wrong as it doesn't have a clear antecedent.. we don't know if "their" is referring to chips or etched lines.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by x2suresh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:39 pm
sjd00d wrote:Agree with B.

A: "Power .....have", should have used singular verb has
C. "both the power of the chips and electronic devices"..here power of chips is and electronic devices are compared, it should be power of chips and power of electronic devices..Also, "chip's circuits are more complex"...i am pretty sure that "are" here is not reqd. or is wrong, don't know which rule it violates though.

D and E are clearly wrong as it doesn't have a clear antecedent.. we don't know if "their" is referring to chips or etched lines.
agree with your logic.

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:12 pm
A whole lot of discussion is required!
As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.
(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has
(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have
(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips

OA is [spoiler=]B[/spoiler]
Shoul'nt a sentence have the same tense throughout??Since we already have "HAVE" in the non underlined are..shouldnt the correct answer have "HAVE".Please somebody consolidate the explanation for poor people like me:(

GMAT Score:720

by uymba » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:12 am
Here is my analysis:

Look at the bold part.

As the etched lines on computer memory chips have become thinner and the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have vastly increased.

it is a plural noun, so the verb should be plural: HAVE.

(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - SEEMS OK.

(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - HAS WRONG.

(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - HAS WRONG.

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - HAVE OK, but ARE MORE COMPLEX does not agree with tense HAVE BECOME.

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips - NO VERB and NO "AND" after both, ARE YOU SURE YOU WROTE THE COMPLETE ANSWER?

IMO: A.

Of course I could be wrong, but I believe the analysis is worth and a solid base to establish a discussion.
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by heshamelaziry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:55 am
uymba wrote:Here is my analysis:

Look at the bold part.

(A) the chips' circuits more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - SEEMS OK.

(B) the chips' circuits more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - HAS WRONG.

(C) the chips' circuits are more complex, both the power of the chips and the electronic devices they drive has - HAS WRONG.

(D) their circuits are more complex, the power of both the chips and the electronic devices they drive have - HAVE OK, but ARE MORE COMPLEX does not agree with tense HAVE BECOME.

(E) their circuits more complex, both the power of the chips - NO VERB and NO "AND" after both, ARE YOU SURE YOU WROTE THE COMPLETE ANSWER?

Of course I could be wrong, but I believe the analysis is worth and a solid base to establish a discussion.

I find both a and b correct because both is placed in differetn places in each.

I don't know why B is Good and A is not ???!11111

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:59 am
heshamelaziry wrote:

Look at the bold part.

I see what I missed, because I didn't read each answer choice diligently.
The sentence intends to say power for Both Chips and for devices. A does not serve this meaning; it only says power for chips only.
That's why B is correct.

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:40 pm
guys this is so not clear,...How can the correct answer have "HAS" when plural form is reqd??
Please please help

Legendary Member

by heshamelaziry » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:57 pm
uptowngirl92 wrote:guys this is so not clear,...How can the correct answer have "HAS" when plural form is reqd??
Please please help
Something Extremely important to memorize:

When you compare x and y, yuo don't say: each x and y has. Has here is correct, but with comparisons you always use plural, but keep the singular verb as if you were saying: each x and y.

Plus, the intended meaning here is to say that X has power and Y has power, not that X and Y have power.

Also, unlike the recommendation for CR, don't try to answer the question before reading the answer choices, because you can't tell what the writer wants to say before reading the answer choices.

GMAT Score:720

by uymba » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:13 pm
heshamelaziry wrote:
heshamelaziry wrote:

Look at the bold part.

I see what I missed, because I didn't read each answer choice diligently.
The sentence intends to say power for Both Chips and for devices. A does not serve this meaning; it only says power for chips only.
That's why B is correct.
I made the same mistake! you are right. B is the correct answer!

the power has.
"both" goes after "power".
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:57 am
Received a PM asking me to respond. I don't see a source cited for the problem. If you'd like me to answer, please post the source (company, author's name, book title, whatever). Thanks!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by TheWarrior » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:11 am
SC 1000 # 139 : Source

Stacey Koprince, please explain the above question.