Comprehensive Study Materials for GMAT Prep -Please Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
What are the best study materials to use to prepare for the GMAT?

I have reviewed all the books listed in the "Books" section but I find that it's not easy for me to simply identify a book or two to develop both my math and verbal skills that will be tested on the GMAT. So based on the books recommended I was thinking of using the following:

GMAT Review Official Guide - 11th edition

Verbal Strategy Books:
PowerScore Criticial Reasoning Bible
Mnhattan GMAT Reading Comprehension Guide

Math:
Kaplan Math Workbook
Manhattan GMAT Number Properties Guide <series 1 of 5>

OR

Is it better for me to just purchase the Manhattan GMAT set of 8 strategy Guides, Fourth edition, which I would use in addition to the Official Guide???

My concern is that I don't want to get confused with buying 4-5 separate verbal books....then 4-5 separate math books form different companies. I'm just not sure if that would be the best strategy??

I am dedicating several months to prepare for the GMAT, so I have time to do an extensive self-study especially since I want to go to some of the top schools. With that said, I scored relatively low (300) on my first practice exam that I took to see where I currently am without studying and being out of school for 6 yrs. I was hugely disappointed but that only makes me want to prepare the best way I can to reach 760 on test day.

Any advice for prep materials??? study strategies??? I'm open to any helpful suggestions. Thnx

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 am
Well frankly speaking, 760 would be too high score a score to aim for given your Diagnostic test score. However, if you really want that score, you need to get all the components of your preparation correct-right from books to the right amount of time you should study for the GMAT, to the number of hours you should dedicate per week to mastering the concepts in the right way.So each element of your preparation has to be perfect if you are aiming for a 760.
I'd not go for all the books from one company but rather buy the best books for each area and then stick with them instead of consulting tens of books.
Manhattan GMAT books are good. You'll find their Math strategy Guides very helpful and you may wanna stick to them only for maths. However, Their CR and RC Guides are just okayish. For CR, Powerscore CR Bible is supposed to be better. Their SC Guide is pretty good for sentence correction but since you seemed to have quite a low score on the diagnostic, I'm assuming that you'll need to work on SC from the basics for which the SC Grail will be very helpful.
Keep participating here on the forum as that will help you remain motivated.

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:58 am
I agree with rishi raj . As u get started with the book , you will come to know about your affinity with the book . Refer certain books as reference . For ex - I use Powerscore Bible CR as basic refernce for CR . I get back to the book whenever i face any issues with CR . You need to decide what suits you . MGMAT maths guides are good . Number properties ranks 1 among the choices of test takers . In case you have time going through the books will not harm , unless you do not get confused with the materials .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by m2muhamm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:23 am
Thank you both for your response.

Rishi - you provided a helpful breakdown of the types of books to use, regarding using Manhattan GMAT for math but not so much so for the verbal. However I find it unsettling to advise anyone against aiming for the highest score they believe they can attain through great study habits techniques given the right amount of time. Although I'm just starting out, I would never tell anyone that "760" or any high score it too high to aim for.

I haven't and will not give up on attaining the best score possible (and 760 is not impossible, simply because nothing is impossible).

Thnx

Legendary Member
Followed by:15 members

by AIM GMAT » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:33 am
Hey m2muhamm ,

I agree with you . One can definately attain high scores with preparation and right direction . Nothing is out of scope . As you have mentioned about having months to prepare , just follow your instinct . Concentrate on your weaknesses but dnt neglect your strengths . I am no expert in GMAT field just expressing my opinions . When i started studying for GMAT i was total blunder , i still may be :) . So you are the whole sole judge of yourself. I like your attitude and commitment towards GMAT . No offense to Rishi , he is a high scorer and his guidance helps a lot .
Thanks & Regards,
AIM GMAT