Completely Shattered....two attempts & both failure

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:560
Guys,
Today I took the GMAT for the 2nd time and faltered again (OA:610,QA:48,V:26)...1st attempt(OA:560,QA:48,V:20)..I am clueless....The verbal section is proving to be my nemesis time & again.....I have apprehensions about taking GMAT for the 3rd time...Looks like MBA will remain a distant dream....How to go about the verbal section??? Had been scoring in the mid 30's throughout the mock tests....SOS!!!!!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sharmasumitn1 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:37 am
MBACRACKER wrote:Guys,
Today I took the GMAT for the 2nd time and faltered again (OA:610,QA:48,V:26)...1st attempt(OA:560,QA:48,V:20)..I am clueless....The verbal section is proving to be my nemesis time & again.....I have apprehensions about taking GMAT for the 3rd time...Looks like MBA will remain a distant dream....How to go about the verbal section??? Had been scoring in the mid 30's throughout the mock tests....SOS!!!!!
Dude,

I share your story. I used to score in the high 30s and low 40s in my mocks. In last GMATPrep, i scored 760. However, in actual GMAT i scored 610 Q 48 V 27 :) ... So dont worry. Analyze what could have gone wrong in your attempt. I believe a series of wrong questions in the end penalizez one heavily. In verbal section, i got stuck on 37th question and wasted lot of time. I did not have much time for remaining 4 question. I guessed on 2 questions and i am not sure what happened to the remaining two. But, i believe if you perform badly in your last few questions, you are done with verbal !!! Make sure that you perform better in the first few and last few questions. you should probably pay the most attention to the first 7 and last 7 questions. We make the most mistakes in the last 7 questions because of time constraints. Try to manage your time in a better way so that you do justice to all the questions. This is my observation, i may be right or wrong.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:640

by costarica » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 am
MBACRACKER wrote:Guys,
Dude, don't be so hard on yourself. The GMAT is a very tough test and not everyone is good with Computer Adaptive Tests. I for one, suck at them even though I had a 3.6 GPA at the University of Texas at Austin. I think that you can still aim for an MBA in many places if you do not wish to take the GMAT again. A 610 is not terrible and it can get you into many business schools in the US and Europe. Nonetheless, take a break from the GMAT and then go at it one last time. You can do it buddy!