CIA

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:530

CIA

by vishalwin » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:30 pm
By a vote of 9 to 0, the Supreme Court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency broad discretionary powers enabling it to withhold from the public the identities of its sources of intelligence information.

(A) enabling it to withhold from the public
(B) for it to withhold from the public
(C) for withholding disclosure to the public of
(D) that enable them to withhold from public disclosure
(E) that they can withhold public disclosure of

Why option B is wrong?

In option A how VERB-ing is right, I mean I have seen (,VERB-ing) as correct choice when we need to show cause-effect for simultaneous actions) but not (VERB-ing without comma before).

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 pm
vishalwin wrote:Why option B is wrong?
Option B creates a sentence that does not really make sense. The sentence almost seems to convey that the reason the powers were awarded was so that the Central Intelligence would have powers to withhold from the public - in other words something along the lines of The supreme court awarded the Central Intelligence Agency powers for it to withhold from the public.
In option A how VERB-ing is right, I mean I have seen (,VERB-ing) as correct choice when we need to show cause-effect for simultaneous actions) but not (VERB-ing without comma before).
Verb-ing modifiers, or participles, can be used in a variety of ways.

One way is to modify an entire clause. When a participle is used this way, the convention is to use a comma between the participle and the clause it modifies.

Another way a participle, or verb-ing modifier, can be used is to modify a noun. When a participle is used this way, often the participle is placed next to the noun it modifies with no comma between the noun and the participle. This structure is what you are seeing in choice A, in which powers is modified by enabling it to...
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.