Choosing an MBA program

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Choosing an MBA program

by salma » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:42 pm
Hello,
I have got an offer from Tippie (University of IOWA) and HULT International School of Business for an MBA.
HULT offers a one year MBA while Tippie has the 2 years MBA program.
I have to make my mind as soon as possible but I really don't know which one is the best. Tippie MBA is definitely an excellent choice in terms of reputation and ranking but I am afraid of the location and its severe weather. HULT is a special school as it does not belong to any university, it used to be Arthur D'Little (Consulting firm) school of management and it only provides this one year MBA, no other programes are available. HULT also offers great locations which are Boston, Dubai and Shangai.
Could you please tell me what do you think because I feel really lost.
Thank you so much for your help

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by zoom2anil » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:16 am
The right school really depends on what is more important to you. Below are some general factors based on which you should look for the “right” school:

Location is one of the most important factors. Many schools will have a great reputation in the local scenario but not much value outside the state or the county. So, be sure of what you are looking for.

Your areas of interest:
You might get accepted by a great school, but are you really doing an MBA in the field of your choice? One of the first things to do before looking for the right school is to decide what you want to learn at a b-school.

Strength of the school in your area of interest:
Once you have decided your area of interest, look at schools which have a good reputation in the field of your interest. A lot of students miss some very good schools because they fail to look in the right direction.

Student Faculty Ratio:
Usually top schools boast of a 12:1 or 15:1 student faculty ratio. This important to understand how much time faculty can devote to their students.

Class size:
S/F ratio is not the only criteria. It is also important to see the class size. Be sure to explore this as well.

Accreditation:
It is important that your college be recognized by the industry and the government. American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) is one of the toughest accreditation agency. Learn more about AACSB here.

Average Age (and work-ex) of the class:
Most business school faculty find it more interesting and challenging to teach students who have "real world" work experience. Discussions among students, and especially within study groups, is often as important as what transpires in class. Thus, it is often said that at a good school, students learn as much from one another as they do from their teachers. Generally, older students with more work experience have more to teach.

Work-ex background of the class:
Again the same factor applies. If you have more students of your field of interest as their background, you will get a lot to learn.

Student diversity:
People for different backgrounds approach problems with different perspectives based upon their own culture, background, and values. Appreciation for this diversity is important for managers.

Average GMAT:
The GMAT test "levels the playing field," and allows comparisons of competing candidates for admission. No one has been able to demonstrate a significant correlation between scores on the GMAT test and subsequent grades received in the MBA program. And there is no correlation between the test score and the likelihood of developing into a successful business executive.

Focus on theory / practice:
Is there just class room teaching? Do students get to showcase their knowledge? Do they get to use their education in real-life scenarios? Look for competitions, industry exposure, internships on the college website.

Case study / Lecture method of teaching

Alumni network:
Not many students are recruited in the campus interview. On an average half of the students have to look for work on their own. A strong alumni network can help you to get that “right job”.

Average Salaries:
When looking at average salaries, you need to look a bit deeper than what is obvious. Look for:
-Average salaries for graduates with work experience
-Average salaries for graduates without work experience
-Average salaries in your area of specialization/interest

The percentage of graduates employed within three months after graduation

Placement statistics

College Resources:
Class rooms, library, computer rooms, teaching equipment
<a href="https://www.freewebs.com/anilc">Need more help on GMAT, TOEFL, MBA? I've listed my experiences & resources</a>