Chlorofluorocarbons

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Chlorofluorocarbons

by apoorva.rattan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:36 pm
According to various ecological surveys, the number of chlorofluorocarbons that has been released into the atmosphere have decreased significantly since the 1970s.

(A) the number of chlorofluorocarbons that has been released into the atmosphere have decreased significantly since the 1970s.
(B) the number of chlorofluorocarbons released into the atmosphere has decreased significantly since the 1970s.
(C) there has been a decrease in the number of chlorofluorocarbons released into the atmosphere since the 1970s.
(D) a decreasing number of chlorofluorocarbons have been released into the atmosphere since the 1970s.
(E) chlorofluorocarbons have been decreasing in the number by which they have been released in the atmosphere since the 1970s.

OA B

Convinced about the OA being right.

What I am looking for help with - Why is the usage of that incorrect ? Is 'that' behaving as a modifier or as a Demonstrative Pronoun here ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 am
Word error in your options.

I will go with B. The sentence provides enough information in itself.
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:44 pm
Hi apoorva.rattan,

I would call the word "that" (in the original prompt) a redundant pronoun - it doesn't need to be there.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]