chances of getting into top 10 b-school?

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700
What are my chances of getting admission in to top 10 B-School? Here is the excerpt of my Academic and Professional profile:

I finished my graduation in year 2010 in Computer Science with 74.09%. My College is not among the best schools of India, however, it is a good college in terms of State college Ranking in Madhya Pardesh, India.

I'm working for McAfee India since May 2011, hence my total work experience is of 22 months. My Job provided me lot of opportunities to work on eclectic projects. I've driven many critical projects in the organization and been appreciated a lot for the same. I've total 11 recognitions from my peers, manager and Sr. Manager.

I'm a member of "first-reads" on Goodreads.com, where I provide my reviews for books sent by author themselves. I've done active participant in many cultural and sports activities in both my professional and academic life.

I'm planning to appear for GMAT exam in July 2013; I've a target score of 720+. I've seen that most of the B-school has average work experience of 48 months; I'm not even close to avg work experience and I want to do MBA in 2014. So if I achieve my target score, what are my chances of getting into top 10 B-Schools around the world?

Any help is appreciated.
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:54 am
Hi hemant_rajput -- it's great to see your active participation here at BTG!

In answer to your question, it's unfortunately really hard to say. :-(

The good news is that you definitely have a chance - the schools admit lots and lots of people with backgrounds like yours.

The difficult part is that there's lots and lots more who are trying for it, who don't make it in. Your profile is quite common.

The undergrad looks fine, and your GMAT target of 720 is wise. The GoodReads thing is not all that important in terms of what the schools care about; that's something you can maybe mention at the bottom of your resume but it doesn't look like it's "big" enough to hit the radar for the adcoms.

You'll want to seek out experiences to make a contribution and have an impact on the job.

Your level of work experience is fine for you to be applying now - lots of people try after 2 or 3 years in the workforce.

We obviously don't know you but there's not much that you offered in your brief sketch that lets us feel confident that the top schools would be interested - but the most important part of that statement is "we don't know you" - there's always more to a person than can be revealed in a short post like this. We encourage you to start digging into your work history and examining your experiences, to begin identifying those places where you've shined the brightest. Stories of leadership and impact are critically important for all the schools. Many bschools also respond favorably to candidates who've got international experience, so if you've had a work assignment in another country, that can help a lot. If you haven't ... maybe you can get chosen for one in the next few months!

A Round 1 app is recommended, provided that you have your material ready and you feel that it's as strong as you can make it. The candidates we work with who begin this early in the cycle tend to do well - there's a great correlation with successful outcomes and starting early in our dataset.

We probably weren't very helpful with this response since we can't be more definitive on your questions. Basically this process is up to you - yes it's very competitive, but the ones who are motivated, who've got good stories that show how they're ahead of their peers, who are willing to work hard (as you clearly are!) - those are the ones who make it in.

If we can try answering some other question, feel free to hit us back again!

Good luck on everything, it sounds like you're approaching it all in the right way.

EssaySnark
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

by hemant_rajput » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:09 am
essaysnark wrote:Hi hemant_rajput -- it's great to see your active participation here at BTG!

In answer to your question, it's unfortunately really hard to say. :-(

The good news is that you definitely have a chance - the schools admit lots and lots of people with backgrounds like yours.

The difficult part is that there's lots and lots more who are trying for it, who don't make it in. Your profile is quite common.

The undergrad looks fine, and your GMAT target of 720 is wise. The GoodReads thing is not all that important in terms of what the schools care about; that's something you can maybe mention at the bottom of your resume but it doesn't look like it's "big" enough to hit the radar for the adcoms.

You'll want to seek out experiences to make a contribution and have an impact on the job.

Your level of work experience is fine for you to be applying now - lots of people try after 2 or 3 years in the workforce.

We obviously don't know you but there's not much that you offered in your brief sketch that lets us feel confident that the top schools would be interested - but the most important part of that statement is "we don't know you" - there's always more to a person than can be revealed in a short post like this. We encourage you to start digging into your work history and examining your experiences, to begin identifying those places where you've shined the brightest. Stories of leadership and impact are critically important for all the schools. Many bschools also respond favorably to candidates who've got international experience, so if you've had a work assignment in another country, that can help a lot. If you haven't ... maybe you can get chosen for one in the next few months!

A Round 1 app is recommended, provided that you have your material ready and you feel that it's as strong as you can make it. The candidates we work with who begin this early in the cycle tend to do well - there's a great correlation with successful outcomes and starting early in our dataset.

We probably weren't very helpful with this response since we can't be more definitive on your questions. Basically this process is up to you - yes it's very competitive, but the ones who are motivated, who've got good stories that show how they're ahead of their peers, who are willing to work hard (as you clearly are!) - those are the ones who make it in.

If we can try answering some other question, feel free to hit us back again!

Good luck on everything, it sounds like you're approaching it all in the right way.

EssaySnark

Hi,

Thank you for your prompt response. If you can help me with these questions it would be great?

1. I wanted to know, is it OK to give GMAT exam on July 2013 with regards to my work Exp?
2. In order to get my profile evaluated properly, what are the things I should highlights?
3. As I don't have any knowledge about different MBA programs that top B-Schools offers, so do I need to explore about them?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

Legendary Member
Followed by:85 members

by essaysnark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:26 am
Good questions!

1. There's no consideration of GMAT test date in an application (unless of course the test has expired). You don't need to worry about when you take the test in the context of when you will apply; your work experience doesn't factor in on this part. Depending on how you're studying is going, you might consider taking it sooner than July if you're planning on applying in the upcoming application season (e.g., Round 1 in October) - that way, you'll have more time to regroup and retest if you feel you could do better and decide to try again. If you wait till July for your first test, then you would end up having to juggle test prep and application stuff - essays!! - at the same time, which is really hard. If you're not planning to apply till next year then just test whenever you're ready.

2. It's tough for us to do a good job on answering profile questions in this limited forum (shameless plug: that's why we developed our Comprehensive Profile Review service https://essaysnark.com/tutorial/comprehe ... le-review/ ]. The basic "stats" like GPA and GMAT are just what opens the door to qualify someone; the actual decisions that a school makes come in from the rest of the profile: not just how many years on the job or what industry, but specifically what the accomplishments and achievements are. It's the entirety of the thing. We can tell from GPA/GMAT whether it's an uphill battle for someone for a Top 10 school, but we can never say if they have enough to overcome any weaknesses. It's the same reason why the schools can't offer similar questions; the reason they have a full application process is because they need to see the full profile in order to make the decision. We can help guide people based on our profile evaluation process but that's just a starting point. Many people do find it helpful though (you can read some of the remarks on that page we linked to, in terms of the value others have gotten).

All that being said, when someone tells us they started a business and just sold it, or launched a division within their company, or did something else equally amazing, then it's pretty easy to say that they have some raw material that shows leadership. It still depends on how they present themselves in the app but it's clear that they've "done something" that the adcoms may respond well to. You don't have to have "done something" on that large a scale but you do need to look for examples in your background of how you've been a leader and made an impact. It's the #1 key most important above all else element that the adcoms look for.

3. YES! Doing your own research on the programs is critically important in order to know if they're a good match for you. We have a bunch of posts on our blahg about this - start here for some: https://essaysnark.com/category/selecting-schools/

The process can feel a little overwhelming but it's also super exciting - attending a campus visit and sitting in on a class can be so amazing. Highly recommend that you do that - it's invaluable and you'll have a lot of stuff to talk about in your essays if you do.

Good luck with all of it and let us know if we can help!
EssaySnark has MBA application guides for HBS, Stanford, Booth, Wharton, NYU and pretty much any other school you can name - including a fully revised and expanded 2015 Columbia essay guide!
https://essaysnark.com/bookstore/
The Indians' Guide to Getting In maps out everything you need to evaluate your own profile and select your schools. https://essaysnark.com/ssguide/quicksnar ... ans-guide/
MILITARY CANDIDATES! We've got some pro bono offers just for you: https://essaysnark.com/military-mba/
Follow EssaySnark on Twitter!

by hemant_rajput » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 am
>>attending a campus visit and sitting in on a class can be so amazing.

I've seen so many people posting about campus visits in BTG forum. As I'm from India, it won't be possible for me to visit any college or attending any class sessions, however if there is any alternate method which students like me does, please let me know.

I really appreciate all your help in answering my questions.