Chances at Tuck, GMAT 3 times (680 45Q 38V). Which programs

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker. I am kind of disappointed today as I took the the GMAT for the third time. Here are my score results

March 2011 660 (41Q, 40V) AWA 6.0
May 2011 680 (40Q, 42V) AWA 6.0
July 2011 680 again but.....(45Q, 38V!)

I am extremely disappointed in my verbal score the third time, as I always practiced from the 42-44 range. I do not think a re-take would be wise, and honestly, I have very little time in the upcoming few months to improve. Therefore, I think I need to accept my score as it is (unless someone can convince me otherwise that a retake is necessary for top 10 MBA programs).

I have a few questions

1) Since my other verbal scores are clearly higher during my other exams, do you think the admissions committee at Tuck, NYU, Yale would consider the highest verbal score?

2) What are my chances at admission into Tuck Early Action Program, my top choice?

3) What other schools should I look at for my short term career goals (consulting, Mckinsey, BCG)?

Background

Top 25 UG Institution, magna cum laude, distinction Phi Betta Kappa. Liberal Arts Major, Quantitative Minor.

I worked in finance for four months following graduation and then left my job to work at an unrelated field at a smaller company. I left my finance job because the new job offered more of an opportunity to effect chang (I know it sounds application essay esque, but it is true) I currently work at a 20 year old company that is making a very strong comeback. My efforts (and the CEO acknowledges me for this in person and will acknowledge this on my recommendation letter) helped bring the company from an operating loss to its second most profitable year in history in 2011 (our YTD sales so far). I created a corporate restructuring plan 2 and half years ago and almost every bullet point of my advice was implemented successfully. ( my CEO acknowledges how invaluable my efforts have been for improving the corporation). Essentially, I was in charge of three successful products launches and an international corporate expansion within my 2.5 years of employment. This has been a very rewarding experience for me and I feel that I have a strong story for my application essays. In addition, I think the results achieved at my current job justify why I left an analyst position for a project management based role.

short term goal- to work in consulting. I think I can justify this career path as I like to find solutions to organizational problems and my work experience at my job proves this. Long term goal, entrepreneur.

Extra curricular/Volunteer- Extremely strong. I can elaborate on details if one would like, but this is one element of my application that will help my candidacy.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I know that I should be happy with a 680, however, I am terribly disappointed and would like to know an accurate assessment of prospects of admission into top mba programs given my background and scores.

Thank you Beat the GMAT for being an excellent resource to MBA hopefuls like myself.
Last edited by Mikeinnyc1986 on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Toddius » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:14 pm
Tuck considers the highest score on each section - I think they're one of the few top programs that do this.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mikeinnyc1986 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:53 pm
Thanks for your response. Where did you find this information out that Tuck takes the highest score in each section? I cant seem to find any reference of it online. Did you call the school? Do you know of any other programs that consider the highest score in each section? Anyone else have any insight on this?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:11 pm
Hi Mikeinnyc1986,

Hope the following answers your questions.

For your GMAT, your score is self-reported on your application. You should report your highest score (which was most recently a 680).

In regards to your question on consulting firms, the big international firms (McKinsey, etc.) that recruit heavily tend to recruit at the following MBA programs:

Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Kellogg
Chicago
Michigan
Wharton

Kellogg has an outrageous number of people going to McKinsey, for example. Many of these firms only recruit at select schools. Or they recruit at their top six schools and then will also do some more local recruiting for local offices. It can be really difficult to land at McKinsey or BCG if you do not go to a school that they recruit at. This is why we recommend contacting HR and just asking - do you recruit at x school? Where do you recruit?

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:49 am
Mike I have several thoughts on your profile:

1) I wouldn't worry too much about the slip on the verbal score. Schools generally focus more on the quant score than the verbal, and so your increase in quant will be more valuable than your drop in verbal is negative if that makes sense. 680 is a good score and should be good enough considering what I feel is a very strong story.

2)Very strong to have graduated from a top 25 school--quality of education matters much to the adcom, even more than GPA.

3) The fact that your story will be backed up by the CEO is good and also that it was strategic in nature will make for a believable post-MBA vision to get into consulting.

4) take a look at Duke, who is also a target recruiting scchool for McKinsey. Duke has an early action admissions program and tends to be a little more lenient on GMAT if they think you are a good fit. I believe their average last year was 690. You are competitive at any school with a 680 if your story is strong enough in my opinion.

5)Let us know if we can help in any way.

-Bryant
Bryant Michaels

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options