Certain Pesticides (OG#10)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Certain Pesticides (OG#10)

by freshy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:42 am
Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.

(A) Certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place; one reason is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.
(B) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason that certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals.
(C) If used repeatedly in the same place, one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective is suggested by the finding that much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes are found in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than those that are free of such chemicals.
(D) The finding that there are much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in soils that are free of such chemicals is suggestive of one reason, if used repeatedly in the same place, certain pesticides can become ineffective.
(E) The finding of much larger populations of pesticide-degrading microbes in soils with a relatively long history of pesticide use than in those that are free of such chemicals suggests one reason certain pesticides can become ineffective if used repeatedly in the same place.

OA: A

Just wondering, can anyone please explain why GMAT can use "....much larger populationS"? How can they use much and with population(s)????

I'm not a native speaker so I may not understand the usage that well....

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ashton_s_83 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:59 am
are you sure about the OA? It looks like (C) to me. The second sentence depends on the first for its existence, therefore a semicolon should not be used.

by freshy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 pm
Yeah, I originally chose E but the OA is really A I have a copy of original OG#10 book so the OA is 100% correct.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:27 am
I landed up with A and E. However, in E, after than "in those" of seems to be wrong and at the end is states that "suggests one reason certain pesticides"... I think "that" should be there after reason...
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: Certain Pesticides (OG#10)

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:30 am
freshy wrote:Just wondering, can anyone please explain why GMAT can use "....much larger populationS"? How can they use much and with population(s)????
hi -

in this case, "much" is not being used as a quantity word.

it's being used as an ADVERB, modifying the adjective "larger" (which, in turn, modifies the noun "populations").

as in...
these populations are large, but those populations are much larger.

hope that helps.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

by freshy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 am
Oh I see, how silly (#^o^#) I get it now! Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Mystery Machine » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:00 pm
Hi,

Can somebody please explain why choice (E) is wrong???
I chose that and I am not able to find an error in that sentence..

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:36 am
Mystery Machine wrote:Hi,

Can somebody please explain why choice (E) is wrong???
I chose that and I am not able to find an error in that sentence..
* "the finding of" is unidiomatic in this place. you need "the finding that..."
(you might be able to use "the finding of X" for a situation in which you're literally finding some physical object X - e.g., under the couch - but even then that would be awkward wording. in any case, that doesn't apply here, so there's nothing to worry about.)

* you should probably have "that" after "one reason".

these are the two best reasons i can find.

what's the problem # of this problem? are there answer explanations in the source?
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

2009 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:700+

Source

by gkumar » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:42 pm
Ron, the source of this problem is OG Verbal #63. Thanks for a great explanation. I did not realize E was not only contains unidiomatic phrases ("the finding of") but also distorts the original meaning of A (the meaning of the "finding" is the discovery is depicted in E instead of the finding itself being the discovery).

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 am
Ron,

I read in the MGMAT SC guide that an IF Construction needs a then, i.e. if this then that; however in all choices from B-E If Then construction is not used, in A IF is not used at all so that is why I marked it correct.

Can you please confirm that my understanding is correct.

I am really confused because nobody is mentioning If Then.

Thanks,

Vineet

by xcusemeplz2009 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:06 am
vineetbatra wrote:Ron,

I read in the MGMAT SC guide that an IF Construction needs a then, i.e. if this then that; however in all choices from B-E If Then construction is not used, in A IF is not used at all so that is why I marked it correct.

Can you please confirm that my understanding is correct.

I am really confused because nobody is mentioning If Then.

Thanks,

Vineet
in a IF then type of construction use of then can be omited for more refrence follow the link....

https://www.beatthegmat.com/conditional- ... 47012.html

the details in the link is availble for only two more days....
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up

Followed by:1 members

by vineetbatra » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:14 am
Thanks man, will check it out. There is an exception for an exception, everytime I see light at the end of the tunnel it turns out to be headlight of a train.

Vineet

by theforrestgump » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:46 am
Bumping this post up again...
following the "if..then" construction
between A & D - the construction seems to be right in both....can someone explain why A and not D ????

by theforrestgump » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 am

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:31 am
This is all-is-underlined question. Other questions are a few words-underlined and we can use phrase difference to find errors. In all-is-underlined question, we need to attack differently. The following is 2 points:

1- find the errors in each answer choice without comparing.
we can see choice B and C contain errors.

2- use MEANING DIFFERENCE among answer choice to realize the correct meaning.
we can not use WORD DIFFERENCE to find errors as in normal easy cases.
In this question, the step 2 dose not apply. But, in many other questions in GMATPREP, we have to apply the step 2 to find error.

So, there are 2 points to attack this kind of question. I wish you share your comment with me.