Can I email while waiting on a decision?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650
I'm in at my #2. I applied on time to a January deadline for my #1, and based purely on my credentials, I can imagine that I'm a complete toss up to get in. It's now early March and I haven't heard anything. I know that they require interviews so I'm not even halfway through the process.

The "Notification Deadline" for #1 is March 30th. I am agonizing while I wait to hear back, and I am considering emailing the program to state briefly that I am still extremely interested. Is there even a slight chance that this could help me, or would it hurt? Do I just need to ride it out to March 30th? It goes without saying that I want to do whatever I can to improve my odds.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:00 pm
Do you have a real reason to send them an update other than "oh i love your program?"
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by voiceofsticks » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:12 pm
money9111, you make an excellent point. My thinking is this - I know that #1 is conducting interviews right now, and I haven't heard anything. From that I'm guessing that perhaps I'm on the fence there, so they haven't outright rejected me, but they're waiting to perhaps add me in as spots allow. I figured that an email could possibly just say to them that I'm still interested, paying attention, and waiting hopefully for a shot.

I realize my thinking could be a little off base, but then again that's why I posted my question here. I don't really know what they're thinking, and I understand that there's really no need for an email. I just can't stop thinking about it.....

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm
Yeah I understand! You won't be able to stop thinking about it until you get notification one way or another but now is the time when you ahve to try an be patient lol. Imagine if they received emails from everyone who applied. They don't have time for all of that. Now, this isn't to say that you couldn't figure out something to update them about. ;-)
voiceofsticks wrote:money9111, you make an excellent point. My thinking is this - I know that #1 is conducting interviews right now, and I haven't heard anything. From that I'm guessing that perhaps I'm on the fence there, so they haven't outright rejected me, but they're waiting to perhaps add me in as spots allow. I figured that an email could possibly just say to them that I'm still interested, paying attention, and waiting hopefully for a shot.

I realize my thinking could be a little off base, but then again that's why I posted my question here. I don't really know what they're thinking, and I understand that there's really no need for an email. I just can't stop thinking about it.....
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by voiceofsticks » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:32 am
Haha, thanks for the advice. I'm picking up what you're laying down...if I can find something worthwhile to update them on, great. Otherwise, I'll just need to find something to occupy my mind while I wait.