Cambridge tests good ones - 7

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

Cambridge tests good ones - 7

by arora007 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 am
The most chance of being an insomniac is not the overworked executive or the student overwhelmed by studies but the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.

A)The most chance of being an insomniac is not the overworked executive or the student overwhelmed by studies but the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.
B) The highest degree of insomnia is not experienced by the overworked executive nor by the student overwhelmed by studies, but by the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.
C)Most insomniacs are not overworked executives or students overwhelmed by studies, yet they are bored housewives who feel unfulfilled.
D)The greater degree of insomniacs are bored housewives who feels unfulfilled and not overworked executives nor are they students overwhelmed by their studies.
E) Insomniacs are, for the most part, bored housewives who feel unfulfilled, not overworked executives or students overwhelmed by their studies.
[spoiler]
OA is E , C comes close but introduces a new error in "Yet"[/spoiler]
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:41 am
I understand that E would be best choice
But is the construction of the sentence acceptable?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nikeboy2008 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 am
Doesn't E change the meaning??

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by BastiG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 pm
I also think that E changes the meaning. Furthermore I would say that no sentence (b,c,d,e) has the same meaning as the orinal sentence (a). Can somebody please comment on that.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:37 members
GMAT Score:780

by Adam@Knewton » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:18 pm
Hmm... I don't think (E) changes the meaning and I do think that its construction is acceptable. Admittedly, we go from talking about the "chances" of being an insomniac to who are insomniacs in greater number, but honestly that's the same thing: there is, after all, no discussion of the "cause" of insomnia here, just the greater tendencies in the statistics, it seems. And (E) is the only acceptable sentence. As suspect as some of these Cambridge questions seem to be, I'm okay with this one, and think it would not be illegitimate on the GMAT. Remember, when it comes to meaning, you're trying to preserve the intended meaning of the original sentence. After all, isn't (E) really a more accurate interpretation of the situation described in (A)?
Prep Smarter, Score Higher
www.knewton.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Target2009 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 pm
MY Pick : E
Regards
Abhishek
------------------------------
MasterGmat Student

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:52 am
arora007 wrote:The most chance of being an insomniac is not the overworked executive or the student overwhelmed by studies but the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.

A)The most chance of being an insomniac is not the overworked executive or the student overwhelmed by studies but the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.
B) The highest degree of insomnia is not experienced by the overworked executive nor by the student overwhelmed by studies, but by the bored housewife who feels unfulfilled.
C)Most insomniacs are not overworked executives or students overwhelmed by studies, yet they are bored housewives who feel unfulfilled.
D)The greater degree of insomniacs are bored housewives who feels unfulfilled and not overworked executives nor are they students overwhelmed by their studies.
E) Insomniacs are, for the most part, bored housewives who feel unfulfilled, not overworked executives or students overwhelmed by their studies.
[spoiler]
OA is E , C comes close but introduces a new error in "Yet"[/spoiler]

Only C and E are contenders.

C has wong use of 'yet'.

E is best but I have one doubt.Can we use 'but' in C stem.Will use of 'but' make it correct sentence.
--------
Ankur mittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 am
AdamKnewton wrote:Hmm... I don't think (E) changes the meaning and I do think that its construction is acceptable. Admittedly, we go from talking about the "chances" of being an insomniac to who are insomniacs in greater number, but honestly that's the same thing: there is, after all, no discussion of the "cause" of insomnia here, just the greater tendencies in the statistics, it seems. And (E) is the only acceptable sentence. As suspect as some of these Cambridge questions seem to be, I'm okay with this one, and think it would not be illegitimate on the GMAT. Remember, when it comes to meaning, you're trying to preserve the intended meaning of the original sentence. After all, isn't (E) really a more accurate interpretation of the situation described in (A)?
Hi Adam , many students have questioned the construction of the sentence .By construction , we mean the the way the sentence has been framed "Insomniacs are ..." instead of "... are Insomniacs"
Consider the following sentences.
Intelligent,technology driven robots are the strengths of this Firm.
Strengths of this Firm are the Intelligent,Technology driven robots.
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am
What about B ? It is wrong because it does not communicate intended meaning ? i am a bit confused here .