Butterfly Rash

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

Butterfly Rash

by komal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:04 pm
The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue, which was consistent with the symptoms of Lupus.

(A) which was consistent with the symptoms
(B) which were consistent with the symptoms
(C) that were consistent with those
(D) which symptoms were consistent with symptoms
(E) symptoms which were consistent with those

OA E

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:24 pm
The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue, which was consistent with the symptoms of Lupus.

(A) which was consistent with the symptoms
(B) which were consistent with the symptoms
(C) that were consistent with those
(D) which symptoms were consistent with symptoms
(E) symptoms which were consistent with those
I have underlined the suspect portion and i think the source of this problem is "Kaplan GMAT Advanced, 2009-10" edition.

I wish the OP had done this bit.

(A) which was consistent with the symptoms - if which refers to "observed" then which is too far hence ambiguous, if which refers to the symptoms then "which was" is not plural
(B) which were consistent with the symptoms - symptoms not mentioned before "which" hence it has no referent
(C) that were consistent with those - "those of" has no referent
(D) which symptoms were consistent with symptoms - absurd idiom error
(E) symptoms which were consistent with those - CORRECT, i thought a standalone "which" almost always follows a comma in the right answer. Here the comma precedes "symptoms". The word symptoms clears the pronoun gap and a comma post symptoms would make it an absurd appositive

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:20 pm
Hey Komal, its ..... . I know it must have been a typo [ cant blame. after all we are used to url's everyday :P]

A) which was consistent with the symptoms ['which' here refers to fatigue and we are comparing fatigue to symptoms of lupus. wrong comparison.]

(B) which were consistent with the symptoms [same as A. Eliminated!]

(C) that were consistent with those ['that' again refers to fatigue alone. Eliminated!]

(D) which symptoms were consistent with symptoms [same error as in A. Eliminated!]

(E) symptoms which were consistent with those [correctly compares the symptoms to the sypmtoms of lupus. Correct!]

Hope this helps!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gauravgundal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:31 pm
Hi, I agree with E.

But I have one doubt that 'symptoms' word must be followed by comma because the 'which ..' part after it is a non-restrictive clause.

Komal ,Please check the sentence again if possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:37 am
gauravgundal wrote:Hi, I agree with E.

But I have one doubt that 'symptoms' word must be followed by comma because the 'which ..' part after it is a non-restrictive clause.

Komal ,Please check the sentence again if possible.
Agreed. Comma is rquired before " when"

@Komal, plz chk th source...If u r typing it from the source,it may occur else if u Copy + Paste..???

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:44 am
IMHO "that" should replace "which" but definitely no comma after symptoms. Imagine having a comma after "symptoms".

The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue, symptoms, which were consistent with those of Lupus.

Ignore the word between commas and the sentence would read

The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue which were consistent with those of Lupus - WRONG...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 am
viidyasagar wrote:IMHO "that" should replace "which" but definitely no comma after symptoms. Imagine having a comma after "symptoms".

The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue, symptoms, which were consistent with those of Lupus.

Ignore the word between commas and the sentence would read

The doctor observed the butterfly rash on her patient's arm and the patient's evident fatigue which were consistent with those of Lupus - WRONG...
Vidya,

I disagree ... chk OG 10 ...use "comma+ which" in search of the pdf file..u will see in all places that construction!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:12 am
fibbonnaci wrote:Hey Komal, its ..... . I know it must have been a typo [ cant blame. after all we are used to url's everyday :P]

lol sorry i clicked on 'url' option instead of 'underline'..... * Apologies * ....... SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE EVERYONE