Building with Bamboo. CR problem.

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

Building with Bamboo. CR problem.

by amysky_0205 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 am
OG13-CR#94
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

(A) Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.
(B) Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
(C) In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.
(D) In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffolding that is used during large construction projects.
(E) Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.

OA: B

I stuck between B and E but chose E instead.
I crossed out ACD
A)the earthquake is irrelevant. The question is clearly talking about economics and bamboos.

C)cannot connect termites with high land values.
D) weaken the statement

tks :))

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:47 am
Whenever we're asked to explain a situation or discrepancy like this, we first have to analyze the evidence given.

Building with bamboo rather than steel or concrete makes sense because... it's strong, sturdy, less expensive, and readily available.

EXCEPT where land values are high.

So why would the price of the land impact any of the qualities that make bamboo desirable? We need to find an answer choice that states that one of these desirable qualities is somehow affected by the value of the land. When you're looking through the answer choices, be wary of statements that undermine the evidence given in the argument (e.g. "bamboo is not as good as steel generally"), or statements that disprove the stated exception (e.g. "bamboo is always the best").

The right answer choice will introduce a new premise, so it's ok to pick something that seems irrelevant at first. You should expect new information - just ask whether it supports that exception, without undermining the given evidence.

(A) Don't eliminate this just because earthquakes seem irrelevant at first. If this answer had said instead "earthquakes only happen where land values are high, and steel and concrete are better than bamboo in earthquakes," it would have been right! The problem is that this doesn't make any comparison between high land values and other places.

(B) Multistory buildings... do they have anything to do with land value? It might not seem like it at first, but think - where and why are multistory buildings built? Where land is expensive (in cities), we build up rather than out. If bamboo can't be used for tall buildings, then it won't be used in places where land values are high. This explains why the one exception to the desirability of bamboo is "where land values are high." CORRECT!

(C) This seems to undermine the given premise that bamboo is less expensive than other building materials, but we know that the given premises must be true. And you're right, the termites don't have any connection to high land values.

(D) Are tropical areas connected to high land values? No. Does the fact that it's used for scaffolding affect whether it's used for the actual building? No - it's readily available, so there's plenty to go around.

(E) This one is tempting, because it actually addresses land values. But be careful! Is "where land values are increasing" the same as "where land values are high"? The value could be increasing from "really low" to "kind of low." And does the fact that we clear away the bamboo that's growing there mean that we can't also build with it? No.

Answer choice B requires a few jumps in logic, but it's the only choice that connects land value to bamboo's suitability.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:51 am
As a construction material, bamboo is as strong as steel and sturdier than concrete. Moreover, in tropical areas bamboo is a much less expensive construction material than either steel or concrete and is always readily available. In tropical areas, therefore, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete, except where land values are high.

Which of the following, if true, most helps to explain the exception noted above?

Buildings constructed of bamboo are less likely to suffer earthquake damage than are steel and concrete buildings.

Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.

In order to protect it from being damaged by termites and beetles, bamboo must be soaked, at some expense, in a preservative.

In some tropical areas, bamboo is used to make the scaffoldingthat is used during large construction projects.

Bamboo growing in an area where land values are increasing is often cleared to make way for construction.
FACT 1: In tropical areas, building with bamboo makes better economic sense than building with steel or concrete.

FACT 2: There is one EXCEPTION: WHERE LAND VALUES ARE HIGH, building with bamboo DOES NOT make better economic sense.

Why does building with bamboo NOT make better economic sense WHERE LAND VALUES ARE HIGH (in other words, where land is MORE EXPENSIVE)?
Prediction: Building with BAMBOO is somehow linked to using MORE LAND.

B: Bamboo is unsuitable as a building material for multistory buildings.
The implication is that bamboo buildings will need to be single-story and thus will require MORE LAND -- making it less economical to use bamboo WHERE LAND VALUES ARE HIGH.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by appy_fizz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:27 am
I ended up with B and C. The logic for the multistory building goes completely fine with me. But we are supposed to make a an exception on the basis of economic viability. The option C says we have to add some preservatives, which adds up to the cost. Then what if the additional cost + high land value makes the overall project expensive and hence exceptional?