bowl of noodles

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

bowl of noodles

by j_shreyans » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 am
In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had

C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners

D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

OA A

Experts please explain.

Also please explain the use of COMMA + PROMPTING in OA

Thanks..

Legendary Member

by j_shreyans » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:21 am
Hi Experts ,

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:54 am
j_shreyans wrote:In the remote western province of China, the prevailing price for a large bowl of noodles, which are a staple in the region, rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.

A)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

B)rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, and prompts allegations that noodle shop owners had

C)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners

D)had risen from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had

E)raised from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had
The simple present tense serves to express a GENERAL TRUTH: something that is true now and is expected to be true ALWAYS.
B: the prevailing price...prompts allegations
Here, the usage of prompts (simple present tense) implies that the price ALWAYS PROMPTS allegations -- not the intended meaning.
Eliminate B.

The past perfect tense (had + VERBed) serves to express an action completed before another past event.
C and D: the prevailing price...had risen
Here, had risen (past perfect) implies that the price completed rising before another past event, but no other past event is offered.
Thus, the usage of the past perfect is unwarranted.
Eliminate C and D.

To raise means TO LIFT SOMETHING.
E: the prevailing price...raised from 27 cents
Here, it is unclear what the price lifted.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.

COMMA + VERBing serves to express an action that happens at the same time as or as a result of the main action.
OA: The prevailing price rose from 27 cents to 31 cents overnight, prompting allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.
Conveyed meaning.
When the price ROSE overnight, it also -- as a result of this action -- was PROMPTING allegations that noodle shop owners had colluded to fix their prices.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by j_shreyans » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:38 am
Hi GMATGuru ,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please explain more option B?

Thanks..