Bold face question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Bold face question

by mgmt_gmat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:52 am
As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have
international experience, so each year it sponsors management education abroad for
its management trainees
. Hachnut has found, however, that the attrition rate of
graduates from this program is very high, with many of them leaving Hachnut to join
competing firms soon after completing the program. Hachnut does use performance
during the program as a criterion in deciding among candidates for management positions,
but both this function and the goal of providing international experience could be
achieved in other ways
. Therefore, if the attrition problem cannot be successfully
addressed, Hachnut should discontinue the sponsorship program.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a
judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice.
B. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to explain; the second
presents part of the argument's explanation of that practice.
C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective.
D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
provides grounds for holding that the policy is not needed.
E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to
evaluate; the second provides evidence for concluding that the policy should be
abandoned.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:14 am
mgmt_gmat wrote:As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have
international experience, so each year it sponsors management education abroad for
its management trainees
graduates from this program is very high, with many of them leaving Hachnut to join
during the program as a criterion in deciding among candidates for management positions,
but both this function and the goal of providing international experience could be
achieved in other ways

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

A. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to justify; the second states a
B. The first describes a practice that the argument seeks to explain; the second
C. The first introduces a practice that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
D. The first introduces a policy that the argument seeks to evaluate; the second
E. The first introduces a consideration supporting a policy that the argument seeks to
abandoned.
my pick is E

Followed by:1 members

by ov25 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 pm
At first thought D is better...but upon closer examination, and trying to redefine what a policy is and a consideration supporting a policy is, I support E.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by slash » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 pm
My pick is E

by lokesh r » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:22 am
IMO E.

Passage ends saying if attrition problem cannot be addressed, program should be discontinued.

So it is better to pick E.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:17 pm
mgmt_gmat wrote:As a large corporation in a small country, Hachnut wants its managers to have
its management trainees
achieved in other ways

abandoned.
my answer is E
i dont think D is good because the last sentence of the CR says the H should discontinue =stop pursuing the program

by bacchewar_prashant » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:06 am
What is the official Ans. I got D

Followed by:2 members

by ronaldramlan » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:18 pm
I read from another forum that OA is D. Expert's explanation is very much welcome!

I personally spent some time on D and E, and finally picked D because D correctly says that the first is a policy, while E incorrectly labels the first as a consideration to support a policy. The first boldface is very much the policy itself.
Yet, both D and E correctly describe the second boldface as the evidence/ground to conclude that the policy is not required.

by Dangerous Dude » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:48 pm
As far as i can take this CR.......I go with D...

My explanation for this goes this way:

A) "judgment that is used in support of a justification for that practice ". Argument is not supporting the practice..
B) "the second presents part of the arguments explanation of that practice". Its not explanation but rather it duscusses of the alternatives.
C) "the second provides grounds for holding that the practice cannot achieve its objective".. The practice is acheiving its objective but it is source of other problems.. so alternative way for foreign exposure is searched.
E) The first is a policy not a consideration... consideration is "Hachnut wants its managers to have international experience"
The second is "policy should be abondoned".. its too strong a word.. rather it is evaluating alternatives to stop the problem of attrition.. and if the alternative dosn't exist then the policy should be stopped....

D) Is correct.... It says policy is not needed... and some alternative or modification is needed to solve the problem of the policy...