Because

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Because

by girish3131 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:05 am
Because of the enormous research and development expenses required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.

a
b. of firms to survive
c. for surviving
d. for survival
e. for firms' survival

i dont know the OA

can someone plz remind me what was the rule regarding prefer noun over verb or vice versa.. in case when both option are correct ...... i just forgot

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:16 am
Because of the enormous research and development expenses required to survive in the electronics industry, an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand, such firms tend to be very large.

a
b. of firms to survive
c. for surviving
d. for survival
e. for firms' survival
Girish:

Please pose your questions exactly as they would appear on the GMAT. Won't that be better?

Please underline the suspect part and replicate it as Choice A, mention the source of the Q and you'll have your queries answered

Tx :-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by girish3131 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am
@ viidyasagar

if u dont have anything constructive to reach the solution then atleast stop talking RUBBISH...!!!

Thanks!

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by sumanr84 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:38 am
Subordinate Clause - " Because of the .... industry"
Modifier - " an industry marked by rapid innovation and volatile demand"
Main Clause - such firms tend to be very large

The main clause is making reference to "such firms" that should be present prior to its reference. Unless that is present, we are not sure what firm we are talking about here.

So, only B and E are contenders.

E uses required for - Eliminated

Last but not the least,
Pls pay attention to the viidyasagar. That wud only help you and others as well.
I am on a break !!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:13 am
You need to post A, or at least underline the portion of the sentence that is under consideration. In response to your question about preferring a verb or a noun. Remember the word VAN. Verb > Adjective/Adverb> Noun. You prefer a verb to an adjective/adverb and nouns. You prefer an adjective/adverb to a noun.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.