beating test anxiety?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

beating test anxiety?

by nargilator » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:12 am
I've written the GMAT twice already. Both times I was as ready as I would have ever been... and both times I got the same extremely extremely low score (430). I know this is because of exam anxiety that I have (and have always had.) The reason I know this is that my scores on each section changed dramatically (one lowering and one getting higher) very randomly (ie my verbal went from 72nd percentile the first time to 30th percentile the second time!!!)

Does anyone have any study advice for someone who has trouble in exam situations? Should I focus most of my time doing CAT practice exams? Any good ones that can be purchased out there? The school has basically told me I'm in if I get a decent score on the GMAT. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by rajesh_ctm » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:59 pm
How much did you get on the GMATPrep practice tests?

by nargilator » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:37 pm
I don't remember because I did the GMATPrep before writing my first test. Somewhere in the 500 range. But after those tests I studied my butt off trying to improve and was getting questions done in under 3 minutes (most under 2 mins actually and my DS and CR were even under 1 min) and I was getting about 90% of the answers correct by the end. But by this point I was not doing a full test and was just timing myself on practices. I went to the exam and sat there stunned when I saw my score.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by fsar45 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:20 pm
Go see your doctor. With that kind of anxiety, you're probably going to treat it medically. In the past I've taken a beta blocker for anxiety, and it worked really well without making me tired. I would look into it.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:53 pm
I think that it's also helpful to maintain some perspective. At the end of the day, the GMAT is just a stupid standardized test--it does not in any way determine your future success or reflect you as a person.

Just think of it as one annoying little barrier to cross to getting into business school. Remember, business school admissions is not based solely on GMAT score--many factors are considered along with your score.

Hopefully, keeping this in mind will calm you some. Best of luck!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by itobean » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:46 am
I completely agree with Eric. It is just a stupid standardized test. I went to an open house for Georgia State's MBA program over the weekend and they went into great depth regarding the GMAT. The director of the program explained that although they do look at your scores, during your interview they also take into account everything else. Not everyone is a great test taker and schools realize this, especially when applying to MBA programs because they realize that most have been out of school for years.

I take my test this Saturday and I've been studying like a fiend. But over the last couple of weeks I've developed a new attitude....I can only do as good as I can. If I score low, which I'm sure I will (I suck at the math even after months of studying) I'm going to keep hacking away at it.

I used have problems with anxiety even when I was studying. I would put so much pressure on myself even during that time.....I essentially felt like it was do or die. My husband finally sat me down and said, "You act as though the world is going to end if you don't do extrememly well. You are not going to lose your job, I'm not going to divorce you or take the kids (our dogs) away from you if you don't do well." I've had to completely change my perspective on things. I am my worst enemy!!

Hang in there, you can do it. Lots of deep breaths!! And the interesting thing....I am on meds for anxiety!! LOL!! :)

Good luck to you!

by nargilator » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:47 am
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'll try to change my perception of tests and test-taking and hopefully that will help! It is just a roadblock and I should just see it as that, so I guess aside from studying I should work on my menatlity about the whole thing.

Funny thing is, the director of admissions (at the only school that I've applied to) has basically come out and told me that everything else in my applic is perfect and they want me at the school. So she's the one who keeps telling me to go back and write this darn test. lol. Tests are silly.

I'll work on the way I view exams and hopefully I'll ace this one :) BRING IT ON!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:50 pm
You've half-done it twice now, right? I mean, you had a high verbal score on one test and a high math score on the other test... so all you have to do is put it together on the same test. It's not like you don't have the capability to do well in each section... because you've already done it!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me