Beaten by GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Beaten by GMAT

by dmitriyaleyev » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:06 pm
Today I took a test:
620 - Q44 V34

It was a major disappointment considering that i was scoring consistently 680 to 730 on practice tests and was normally around 80 percent right mark in OG problems.

Would you recommend any strategy? I am taking a test again in a month. I didn't have a problem with time but feel like verbal completely killed me. I took all mgmat exams and GMAT prep. I just bought 800score.com tests. What do you think should be my strategy??? Maybe I just got nervous...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by nittanylion530 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:46 am
Did you use Kaplan's Verbal Workbook? That might help you improve your verbal score if you feel you need more practice with that section. Check out DanaJ's book review: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2009/11/ ... ook-review

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by riteshbindal » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:35 pm
dmitriyaleyev wrote:Today I took a test:
620 - Q44 V34

It was a major disappointment considering that i was scoring consistently 680 to 730 on practice tests and was normally around 80 percent right mark in OG problems.

Would you recommend any strategy? I am taking a test again in a month. I didn't have a problem with time but feel like verbal completely killed me. I took all mgmat exams and GMAT prep. I just bought 800score.com tests. What do you think should be my strategy??? Maybe I just got nervous...
Hi,
I think you may need to figure out what is your real strength which did not click in the exam. For e.g. if you were consistently scoring well in Q but you didn't perform on G-Day, then you may have to figure out as why it happened.
Also, it depends on which tests you were taking up. Some tests give you higher score than your actual capability and some give lower score. What were your scores in Gmat prep tests?
Deep insight into these answers can help you figure out the right direction.
Let me know if you need any help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by okigbo » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm
I'm in the same boat...just got out of my test and scored a 630 while I had been scoring 680-700 on practice tests. I felt like I had completely failed quant and that negativity significantly drove down my verbal score. I just couldn't concentrate during RC and CR. I've decided to get the powerscore books, renew my subscription to WSJ and hit number properties and inequalities hard using MGMAT. I will try again in 31 days though it is crunch time since I am applying round 2 and still have essays to write. What holiday break??? lol

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by olchesss » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:25 am
I usually did 95-99% on the quant, and did the whole section 15 minutes before the deadline, so on the actual exam i decided to do as recommended and to focus on the first couple of questions... and ran out of time and had at least one or 2 qeustions unanswered. I also didn't press Confirm or whatever the button is on the last question of the section, i just sat and waited .. so i guess this one was not calculated as well.
Im pretty sure that if you really analyze what you did differently during the exam, you will get why the score is much lower than you expected. I myself really couldn't believe the result was mine, since for some reason it was not shown on my screen, i only got my score printed :(
good luck everyone!!
Last edited by olchesss on Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by dmitriyaleyev » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:47 pm
Hi guys,
Thanks for responses.

I got:
GMAT PREP: 680 (1), 700 (1), 730 (3, some overlap)
MGMT: 610, 650, 710, 690, 700, 710, 720
Kaplan: 600, 550
Princeton: 620
Knewton: 700

I am going over all problems in OG 11 and 12. Then I will review all error log and concentrate on tougher problems.
I didn't spend much time preparing for Verbal - that would be my priority. After 2 weeks I am planing to take a few practice tests. Finally, I am planning to take a second exam in the end of Dec or mid January. I almost feel like i burned out. this time will stop studying two three days before exam.