Beaten By Gmat

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Beaten By Gmat

by gmat009 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:52 am
I got a score of 580.
Quant 46, Verbal 24
Studied for 3 months. Mainly focused on OG, Manhattan, Kaplan.
In my practise tests I was scoring between 650-750.
I gave gmatprep 3 times.
First time without much preparation, just to get feel of it- Scored 650
Second time after preparation : Scored 710
Third time : Scored 740
I read some forums where people say actual gmat is close to Gmatprep.
After giving my real Gmat I donot think so.

According to me I performed well in Verbal and I really doubt these scores for Verbal. Is there any way I can get my scores re-evaluated.

Also can someone tell me name of any 2 or 3 US universities out of top 20 where they will accept these scores
Last edited by gmat009 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mlane25269 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 am
Hey GMAT009!

I can totally relate to you. I just took the GMAT yesterday and I found the math to be harder than the GMATprep practice tests. I ended up scoring a 450 and in all my GMATprep tests I consistently scored between 550 and 600. What really shocked me was that my verbal score was actually lower on the real GMAT than the math score when my math score was always lower than my verbal score.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:48 pm
Guys,

GMAT is getting harder and harder as we speak. But always keep in mind that it is getting harder for everybody. As a result of this, the average scores will be lower compared to what they were and Bschools will take this into consideration.

Cheers..
GMAT DELIGHT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710!

Re: Beaten By Gmat

by phumbert » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:43 pm
gmat009 wrote:I got a score of 580.
Quant 46, Verbal 24
Studied for 3 months. Mainly focused on OG, Manhattan, Kaplan.
In my practise tests I was scoring between 650-750.
I gave gmatprep 3 times.
First time without much preparation, just to get feel of it- Scored 650
Second time after preparation : Scored 710
Third time : Scored 740
I read some forums where people say actual gmat is close to Gmatprep.
After giving my real Gmat I donot think so.

According to me I performed well in Verbal and I really doubt these scores for Verbal. Is there any way I can get my scores re-evaluated.

Also can someone tell me name of any 2 or 3 US universities out of top 20 where they will accept these scores
Hi there. I wanted to let you know that you have NOT been beaten by the GMAT unless you have given up. I took my score from a 590 to a 710 in 45 days. I also studied 3 months for my intial test, so I understand your position. I have not posted my debrief yet, but will soon. You CAN DO IT!

-ph

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:710!

by phumbert » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 pm
emrahercan wrote:Guys,

GMAT is getting harder and harder as we speak. But always keep in mind that it is getting harder for everybody. As a result of this, the average scores will be lower compared to what they were and Bschools will take this into consideration.

Cheers..
fyi- i completely agree. i was also a little suprised by the difficulty of the real test. but I do not know that you can assume average scores will go down. one of the best attributes of potential mba's is their tenacity and competitiveness. it make take more try's but applicants will do what it takes to maintain, if not improve the status quo.