Beat the GMAT? 710 - comparative scores listed

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello Everyone,

A longtime lurker, first time poster here...

Actual GMAT: 710
Psyched myself out on the quant section for sure. 41 Q. 45 V.

In retrospect, I think all the prep was worthy of my time. I had an excellent sense of how much time to spend on each question and wasn't pressed for time at all.

Manhattan GMAT: Math was too challenging. In the practice tests, I found that I was extremely rushed, the actual exam had shorter questions. Then again, I may have had easier questions because I wasn't scoring well on the real thing! I found that the sentence correction was for the most part easier on the real thing. Reading comprehension was similar, except on Manhattan I reached a point where I could predict which question would be correct without thinking too hard. Not true for the real thing.

Kaplan: Math was a little closer to the real thing, but actually was a bit computationally intensive, whereas the real thing hardly required any computation.

Powerprep / GMATprep: Most like the real thing, though my score doesn't show it. I can chalk my "poor" performance on the real thing to nerves. I sat for 4 minutes looking at the first question freaking out because I didn't know how to sovle it.

For comparison:

GMATPrep

Powerprep

Kaplan

Manhattan

Real GMAT: 710 (41Q, 45V)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bmorgan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:07 pm
Nice score! Any prep advice to those of us looking to improve?
I do not have superior intelligence or faultless looks. I do not captivate a room or run a mile under six minutes. I only succeeded because I was still working long after everyone else went to sleep.

-Greg Evans

Veritas CAT: 680
GMATPrep CAT: 680

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:11 am
Nice score. Is powerprep still available?
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by selango » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:15 am
Good verbal score..Can you share ur verbal preparations?
--Anand--

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by evanr2 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:48 am
Hello again,

My verbal prep was pretty straighforward. This was always a strong area for me. I did 0 prep for the CR and RC sections aside from simply answering banks of questions found in Kaplan 800 and on the practice tests.

For SC I knew I was weaker, so I bought Kaplan verbal workbook and did every single SC question. I also studied some grammar from sites like beat the gmat.

Sorry I don't have much more to offer in this regard! Maybe it's my computer programming background, or my engineering degree, but I tend to do very well on any logic of reading comprehension questions.

Good luck everyone!