Beat but not beaten

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Beat but not beaten

by layiwolo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:55 pm
I undertook my GMAT today but got a measly 400. Now I put this down to two issues, poor preparation and underestimated the test.

Firstly, poor preparation. I only used the official guide and the verbal and quants review to prep for the exam. I have no purchased the Kaplan Verbal and Maths workbook to help supplement my revision.

Secondly, I thought I could learn the basic fundamentals and score my desired minimum of 650.

But as I said, im beat but not beaten. Going to redo the test in 6 weeks.

Will update you on the results

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:55 am
layiwolo wrote:Going to redo the test in 6 weeks.
Hi Layiwolo,

Yes, it's pretty hard to prepare with only the practice questions in the official guides. Good to hear that you purchased some additional resources.

I just wanted to comment on what you said about retaking the test in 6 weeks.

In my opinion, it's a good idea to wait until you've successfully achieved your target score on at least one official practice test (https://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-fr ... tware.aspx) before you consider taking the real test.

I should also point out that 6 weeks isn't much time to increase your score by 250 points. Yes, it has been done in the past, but it's rare to see such a significant improvement in 6 weeks. You must be prepared to invest a lot of time.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com