Barry walks from one end to the other of a 30-meter

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Barry walks from one end to the other of a 30-meter long moving walkway at a constant rate in 30 seconds, assisted by the walkway. When he reaches the end, he reverses direction and continues walking with the same speed, but this time it takes him 120 seconds because he is traveling against the direction of the moving walkway. If the walkway were to stop moving, how many seconds would it take Barry to walk from one end of the walkway to the other?

A) 48
B) 60
C) 72
D) 75
E) 80

The OA is A.

What are the calculus that I should do to solve this PS question?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:44 am
Barry walks from one end to the other of a 30-meter long moving walkway at a constant rate in 30 seconds, assisted by the walkway. When he reaches the end, he reverses direction and continues walking with the same speed, but this time it takes him 120 seconds because he is traveling against the direction of the moving walkway. If the walkway were to stop moving, how many seconds would it take Barry to walk from one end of the walkway to the other?

A.48
B.60
C.72
D.75
E.80
Let B = Barry's rate and W = the walkway's rate.
The distance can be ANY VALUE.
Let the distance = 240 meters.

WITH the walkway, the time = 30 seconds:
Here, Barry and the walkway WORK TOGETHER, so we ADD their rates:
B+W = d/t = 240/30 = 8 meters per second.

AGAINST the walkway, the time = 120 seconds:
Here, the walkway works AGAINST Barry, so we SUBTRACT their rates:
B-W = d/t = 240/120 = 2 meters per second.

Adding together B+W = 4 and B-W = 2, we get:
(B+W) + (B-W) = 8+2
2B = 10
B = 5 meters per second.

Time for Barry alone:
d/r = 240/5 = 48 seconds.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:46 am
Vincen wrote:Barry walks from one end to the other of a 30-meter long moving walkway at a constant rate in 30 seconds, assisted by the walkway. When he reaches the end, he reverses direction and continues walking with the same speed, but this time it takes him 120 seconds because he is traveling against the direction of the moving walkway. If the walkway were to stop moving, how many seconds would it take Barry to walk from one end of the walkway to the other?

A) 48
B) 60
C) 72
D) 75
E) 80
We can let the rate of the walkway = w and Barry's rate = r.

Since he walks from one end to the other of a 30-meter moving walkway at a constant rate in 30 seconds, assisted by the walkway:

w + r = 30/30

w + r = 1

He reverses direction and continues walking with the same speed, but this time it takes him 120 seconds because he is traveling against the direction of the moving walkway:

r - w = 30/120

r - w = 1/4

Adding the two equations together, we have:

2r = 1¼

2r = 5/4

r = (5/4)/2 = â…�

Thus, if the walkway were not moving, it would take Barry 30/(5/8) = 240/5 = 48 seconds to walk its length.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage