• 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

    Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

    Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

Bad score (Did anyone experienced the same thing?)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Location: France
Hi,

I took the GMAT today and got a 580 (Q44 V26) which is very bad! I really don't know why I messed up since I kept scoring between 660 (Q47 V34) and 700 (Q48 V38) during my prep (with GMAT prep).
During the exam I had difficulty with quant (a lot of combination and probability!!!). But what is strange is that I was quite confident about my answers during the verbal (except for the first one...can it have such an impact?). I have many friends well prepared (scoring 670 - 700 during the prep) who got 570 or 620 during the test. And another friend (who never reached 600 during his prep) who get 690!
I really don't know how this test work! I will re-take the test in one or two months but I don't know which strategy to apply!

Thank you for your comments...

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 6730
Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Thanked: 1249 times
Followed by:984 members
gloubiboulga wrote:Hi,

I took the GMAT today and got a 580 (Q44 V26) which is very bad! I really don't know why I messed up since I kept scoring between 660 (Q47 V34) and 700 (Q48 V38) during my prep (with GMAT prep).
During the exam I had difficulty with quant (a lot of combination and probability!!!). But what is strange is that I was quite confident about my answers during the verbal (except for the first one...can it have such an impact?). I have many friends well prepared (scoring 670 - 700 during the prep) who got 570 or 620 during the test. And another friend (who never reached 600 during his prep) who get 690!
I really don't know how this test work! I will re-take the test in one or two months but I don't know which strategy to apply!

Thank you for your comments...
Hi gloubiboulga:

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences on the test--it sounds like your performance today was well below your practice test performances?

Can you describe your study strategy to date? The more details you can provide the better, so our community can help you dissect any problems you might have had with preparation.

Also, what is your target score?

Keep your head up--this test is something you can certainly beat!
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Location: France

Re

by gloubiboulga » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:35 am
I started my studies during the christmas holidays and spent 2 intensive weeks working on it.
First I bought princeton review and completed each section. After that I bought the OG 11th and OG verbal.
I also completed a very good book that a friend gave me which come from (MBA center...sorry to compete with manathan! But given my score it might not be a good ad for MBA center!)
I did every quant ps and ds in the OG and I did most of the problems many times. From the 1st to the 150 it is a piece of cake when you start the 200-250 it is more complicated but nothing compared what I experienced during the GMAT!
I think that you really need to be prepared for the worst in math and OG is too easy compared to the test.
It is true that I did not worked so much on the verbal (I think I completed 300-400 questions for SC, CR and RC). However I constantly scored between 34 and 38 during my prep!
For the RC I did 150 questions from OG and got a 145/150.
I think that SC is my main weakness (I am french! But it does not explain everything...a friend of mine got 760 wesneday and she does not speak a perfect english!!!) In fact I always eliminate 3 answers and always hesitate between the 2 which last and seem correct.
Actually, I have been very disapointed the day of the exam since I was quite sure of all my answers in verbal (maybe it was too easy because I got wrong the first questions?)
My main fear is that since I cannot explain my score, it is hard to be confident about the test!
My goal is to reach at least 650 (but at least!). My university in france organize an exchange program with the master of accounting and finance at the London School of Economics but I need 650-700.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 5
Joined: 22 Sep 2006
Location: delhi

by drbyadav » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:54 am
Hi globiboulga,

Sorry to know about ur scores but dont get dishearten.even i had the same thing, got 620 (Q48 ,V 27) on 22 dec .my practice test scores were almost same like urs. There are few people on the blog who scored very good in their second attempt.After taking a break i m feeling like to take the challenge again .So take a break ,It helps a lot to boost ur morale and then beat the gmat.

ALL the best


Doc
Hi there

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 9
Joined: 17 Nov 2006
Location: France

by gloubiboulga » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:48 am
drbyadav wrote:Hi globiboulga,

Sorry to know about ur scores but dont get dishearten.even i had the same thing, got 620 (Q48 ,V 27) on 22 dec .my practice test scores were almost same like urs. There are few people on the blog who scored very good in their second attempt.After taking a break i m feeling like to take the challenge again .So take a break ,It helps a lot to boost ur morale and then beat the gmat.

ALL the best


Doc
Thanks doc! I am leaving tonight for a ski trip and plan to reschedule when I return (good break!)

User avatar
Legendary Member
Posts: 2469
Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Location: BtG Underground
Thanked: 85 times
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:55 pm
wow!
thats interesting:)

thanks for the info you provide in your earlier posts and ATB. :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Posts: 8
Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Location: Israel

probably this new GMAT

by ronrh200 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 am
Hi,

about lower exam scores as compared to prep scores

I experienced the same (though no with such a big diff)
I fear the new GMAT (as of 2007) is harder and am looking for proof via this board

my advise to you is - retake the exam (most programs will take you higher score only).
if time allows, take another month for prep and retake it (you will be more mentali fit then on your first one - this atleast is worth some points ...

cheer up

good luck

Ron

User avatar
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posts: 57
Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Followed by:2 members

by limits660 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:13 pm
ill let ya know on the 17th
-
Jeff Sacco
www.jeffsacco.ca

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Posts: 13
Joined: 22 Jan 2007
Thanked: 3 times

by VirtualM » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 am
I had the same experience except it was in Quant! I felt very confident about my quant, and actually had a harder time with Verbal, so imagine my shock when I saw my grade. I was consistently getting practice test grades of 690-730 with no quant grade lower than 41. This was my third try so I'm not going to retake the test anymore. I'm really depressed with the quant in my third try cause it just doesn't reflect the progress I made in the past month. I don't know if this is just purely subjective, but could it be possible that Pearson is making it harder to get good scores?

Do you guys think these are good enough for 2nd tier schools like Cornell/NYU/Yale/UNC - planning to apply first round for 2008. I'm aiming for schools in the 10-25 ranking range.

1. 640 Q39 V39
2. 650 Q43 V36
3. 650 Q37 V41

GMAT/MBA Expert

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 6730
Joined: 13 Feb 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Thanked: 1249 times
Followed by:984 members

by beatthegmat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:08 pm
VirtualM wrote:I had the same experience except it was in Quant! I felt very confident about my quant, and actually had a harder time with Verbal, so imagine my shock when I saw my grade. I was consistently getting practice test grades of 690-730 with no quant grade lower than 41. This was my third try so I'm not going to retake the test anymore. I'm really depressed with the quant in my third try cause it just doesn't reflect the progress I made in the past month. I don't know if this is just purely subjective, but could it be possible that Pearson is making it harder to get good scores?

Do you guys think these are good enough for 2nd tier schools like Cornell/NYU/Yale/UNC - planning to apply first round for 2008. I'm aiming for schools in the 10-25 ranking range.

1. 640 Q39 V39
2. 650 Q43 V36
3. 650 Q37 V41
I think your scores are competitive enough for the schools you mentioned. Work on presenting a compelling story about yourself in your apps.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school