Back in the saddle again!

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

Back in the saddle again!

by isisalaska » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:12 am
OK, so after one week of grievance :cry: ( I took the GMAT last Saturday and did not do well) I am considering to re-take the GMAT . I must be crazy but it seems I will not be able to be happy unless I beat the GMAT. You guys put this “drug” in me. :shock:
I was supposed to start my PhD this summer; well I don’t think is going to happen no so I will shot for the Fall. That leaves me plenty of time to prepare again.
Now the one million dollar question:
1 How can I prepare this time?
And the half a million dollar question:
2-When should I take it?

Miss you all! :)
Isis Alaska

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by greatman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:18 am
Hi Isisalaska,

Sorry to hear about that. I was waiting for update from you....

About your questions for the next plan or strat...I think you r the best judge for yourself...try to analyse your weakness or shortcomings...But always beleive in urself.....I can't tell much about this....as I have to experience real test yet....

My test date is also approaching......Can you share your test experience with us...How you compare actual test with GMATprep and especially with Manhattan online tests.....

All the best

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:03 am
Thanks Greatman
Ok, so here is my experience (and I wlil be "legal" in terms of discussing questions, etc). This is a long post...seat back and relax

The last two weeks before my exam I practiced only Manhattan and Cat Prep. The Sunday before my exam I took and adaptative Manhattan test and I scored 660 (I still keep the printout since I did not believe it). That made me very happy and boosted my confidence. On Tuesday before the exam and took the second Cat Prep test and I scored 560 if I remember well. This drop alerted me but it was after work, so I though maybe I was tired etc. On Friday I relax, even got a massage and rested.

The day night before my exam for some reason my daughter did not sleep well at all (she is 20 months), it was almost like Murphy’s Law. My husband took care of her but naturally I woke up a couple of times. The morning of the exam it was snowing very bad here, in St. Louis, I even though they will cancel the exam so I called at 8 in the morning and they told me they were open so no cancellation. I am telling all these facts not to find excuses but to analyze the whole situation. That morning I packed my blueberries (I read that are rich in anti-oxidants and helps with stress, etc), my grapes (for glucose boost) and some crackers and water I don’t like peanut butter, so I could not follow Eric’s advice. I was ready, or short of…I arrived the test place 15 minutes before so I could go to the restroom, stretch and eat some grapes. I was not really that nervous. I sat and started with the essays. I was proud of how well I was writing, I have not received the AWA scores yet but I am sure I did very well. I took my 10 minutes break, went out, ate some more, drank water, etc. I came back to the classroom and started the math section. Now is when my nightmare starts. As I was answering the problems I was finding the questions more and more difficult. I started to wonder if either I was doing pretty well or I had no clue of how to answer those questions. 15 questions later I stared to have a bad feeling, I was not performing too well but I was in the game so I had to finish. I tried to be positive and think I will do really well in the verbal part. Then, I realized I did not have much time so the last 3-4 questions I pretty much guessed. About PS and DS I found about the same number. I found the PS questions more difficult than the DS, or maybe is because I am better at DS. A couple of question about geometric, not too many question about probability, maybe 2 or so, more like word problems tipe of questions. After that, I took another 10 minutes break and did the same ritual, eating more, drinking water, using the restroom, etc, and most important, trying to think positively.

I started the verbal part and I regain my confidence since I realized I was doing really well. The questions were flowing, I was keeping a good pace, Thank God! (I though) I felt relieved! I had plenty of time to finish the verbal part. I got 3 RC , one of then kind of short, and about the same number of SC and CR, still, I only found 3 CR kind of confused and one of the RC little hard but still beatable.

Then, the moment of truth arrived. The worst 5 minutes of you life when you keep pushing the enter buttons thinking the next screen is the last one, but it is not yet more demographic questions. Then, I was my score, less than a 500, what happened!!!! :shock:

Lessons learned

1- Sorry for the Manhattans guys, but be cautious in becoming over-confident with your Manhattan results
2- Nevertheless, I still think the Manhattan Grammar book helped me a great deal so buy it by all means
3- Be sure you are very strong in math (this goes for me big time)
4- Grapes helped a great deal, thank you to you Greatman!!!

Anyhow, this is my experience, I hope next time I can write a better one
:wink:
Isis Alaska

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by greatman » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:45 pm
Thanks Isisalaska for sharing your experience..with us...

What I analyse from your post is that Quant section played role in denting your overall score....May be i m wrong...